Clements or Samuel?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ROCKYMTNTITAN, Feb 6, 2007.

?
  1. Nate Clements

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Asante Samuel

28 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Freeney?

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Other suggestions?

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Can you say Roosevelt Colvin?

I can.

Gut

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Junior Seau was a pretty big free agent...

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Glad you've seen the light. I've been trying to point this out since last season.

The Pats started this concept when Belicheck became the coach with the idea that you never 'maximize' the roster at the expense of your cap (forcing cap hell and rebuilding). His concept is that you build an excellent nucleus (mostly a strong D) and fill with roll players that fit their offensive and defensive system. They don't need to spend high draft picks on the roll players (like Asante Samuel) and NEVER overpay. They pay for production, not talent. They always let the role players (and superstars in decline - Milloy) go to save their cap. And they are rewarded by bringing in good vets who fit their system, come relatively cheaply as well as rookies.

Meanwhile, the Titans, Cowboys, Jags and Baltimore all blew our cap to maximize the roster in order to win A super Bowl. Those teams have 1 title and each has gone through years of rebuilding. The Pats have won 3 Super Bowls and haven't had a 'rebuilding' year as they are constantly rebuilding.

As maligned as Saban was, he knew one thing that a lot of teams (including the Titans) haven't figured out yet. There is no salary cap for coaches. Saban built quite an impressive staff down there (by overpaying). But even there, the Pats are still way ahead of everyone...the Pats bring everyone up through the organization starting from assistant to the assistants (you break down film and get people coffee) to becoming offensive or defensive coordinator. The Titans were successful at developing Gregg Williams, but that's about it and the fact that Schwartz can't coach and we don't get rid of him is a PROBLEM.

It's a bit of a PR problem when you're constantly letting players go (even some very popular ones), but no one was crying for Lawyer Milloy after the Pats won the Super Bowl that year. Plus, if you constantly build up mid rnd draft picks to become Superstar players and let them sign gigantic contracts (that will hurt someone's cap), they also get a nice compensatory pick to continue the cycle.

It'd be nice if we got smart in a hurry...like THIS year when we CAN build the team into a revolving perennial playoff team. We also have the cap space to front load 2 BIG contracts so they get cheaper over time instead of more expensive.

Gut

4. whitevick331

whitevick331 Guest

no to clements he just said he wanted to be the highest paid corner in the nfl. hes not worth that

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

everyone knows he's not worth that, so he won't get that

6. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Yeah he will... Not because he's the best, but the market prices have probably increased 20% year/year

7. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

What everyone, including myself, is missing here, is Nick Harper, what do you guys think about signing him? he'd be significantly cheaper than Clements or Samuels and we already have a very good #1 corner in Pac, that might actually be the way to go. Please give some imput, I just read his name in an article about FAs this offseason and it's late enough that my mind might not be working strait, but I think that could put us in a very good position.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

really depends on what type of defense we are are going to run. harper is at his best in zone, which is what we have run in the past 6 years. according to many, we want to run man to man, we just dont have the players to run man to man, so when we finally get those players will we all of a sudden run it more? my guess is no, so he might be a very good pickup with what he will be asked to do.

however, if we do finally change from the sissy zone, we might want to invest in someone who is better in man coverage.

9. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Isn't he like 33? Sure, if we can't get Sam or Clem then yes.. ANYONE but Rey 'I can't find the ball" Hill.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Question..

Knowing what we know about our existing talent what is more likely to be the case.

Finnigan is ready to start at CB and will be an andre dyson caliber player already.

or Fuller or lowry are ready to start at safety.

It has to be the former right? Finnigan is the better bet at corner no question. So why are we not talking about a FA safety then?

There are several solid SS Fa. Hamlin, wilson and doss and either could be had for similar money that it cost to get hope($3.5m per).

Gabril wilson is a RFA for the giants. He is only 25 years old, no injury history that i know of and would be entering his 4th season. At 209 lbs he is perfect for us a very active player who can tackle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar