Clements or Samuel?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ROCKYMTNTITAN, Feb 6, 2007.

?
  1. Nate Clements

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Asante Samuel

28 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Freeney?

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Other suggestions?

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

People always bring up Samuels possibly being a product of the system in New England. Is what they do anywhere close to what we do? I say go after the one who will fit best in our system.

2. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

I think his natural talent will allow him to excel on whatever team he ends up on.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

$8M too much for either of them..

Clements might actually cost more than samuels because there is such a demand for large physical corners. Wait until mathis becomes a free agent some day.

Woolfolk will be a free agent.. :eek:

We discussed this on titanscentral that it might be considered too expensive to pay for 2 #1 corners. Pacman counts an average of $4m a year through the end of his contract in 2009. Do we want to pay another player $8M at the same position? That's what it will take.

I want to sign a mid range guy like harper or someone of similar caliber who might be a better fit for us. Bring in a guy like that to compete with hill and finnigan and provide quality depth. There also is the possibility that a top corner will be there in rd 1 of the draft; a leon hall or a revis perhaps. I think it might be too much to commit 12% of our whole cap on just 2 CBs when we have so many other needs..

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If Freeney were available, I'd definitely go after him.

I would sign Clements or Samuel...whichever is 'cheaper'!

I would do a price check on Adalius Thomas, Lance Briggs, London Fletcher, Rod Coleman, Terdell Sands, Eric Steinbach, Michael Lewis, Kevin Curtis, Kawika Mitchell, Jerramy Stevens, Charles Grant, Ian Scott, Max Starks, Dontae Stallworth, Justin Smith, Ken Hamlin, Cato June, Nick Harper, Deon Grant, Ahmad Carroll, Ahman Green, Dominic Rhodes, Cosey Coleman, Stacy Andrews, Chris Kelsay, Kris Dielman, Jason Fisk, EJ Henderson, Michael Turner, Damion McIntosh, Jeff Garcia, and Damon Huard, and Seneca Wallace.

Gut

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Samuel could turn out to be the better player but for the same price I like Clements. He is more physical and has been a solid player for years, not just a flash in the pan. He had 99 tackles in 2005. Expect Clements and Samuel to command around 8 mil per year which is the average for the top 5 CBs last year. A guy like Freeney will cost closer to 10 mil per year or more.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Franchise tags, ball park for cost..

Quarterbacks: $12,615,000
    Offensive linemen: $9,556,000
    Defensive ends: $8,644,000
    Wide receivers: $7,613,000
    Cornerbacks: $7,790,000
    Linebackers: $7,206,000
    Running backs: $6,999,000
    Defensive tackles: $6,775,000
    Safeties: $4,490,000
    Tight ends: $4,371,000
    Punters and kickers: $2,078,000

These numbers are courtesy of oilerman from titanscentral..

They are based on the average of what the top 5 players at that position make. What kind of dough will these top corners be looking for? That's the number right there. $7.8M assuming the top corners are making market value. The real current market value will likely be higher..

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Money well spent..

Well it would be considered investing money in the right place.
    I really think that paying a total of 12-15 mil would be considered money well spent if thats what it will take to shut down receivers with our CBs. Although its a high amount, the result will be worth it. How many times have you wanted to kill WoolFolk or Hill when they just wonder off their WR and cause the 3rd and 8 to be 1st and 10.

I think our offense is almost set now, and all we pretty much need is an above avg WR to help make the catches. Other than that, we should be investing more money in our Defense.

offtopic:
    Screw the TE position.. lets look to invest money in other areas.

8. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

:werd:

9. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I would take Samuel any day, hes young, proven in the playoffs, and would work perfect with PacMan

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...no, that is NOT the money Clements and Samuel are looking for. Word is (rumor) that Samuel wants Champ Bailey like money and Clements likely wants more (since he's bigger and has more of a resume).

In case you were wondering, Bailey's contract was 7 years for $63-million that includes an $18-million signing bonus and $5 million in other bonuses.

That's OVER $9mil a year.

I don't think Samuel will get that because he's smaller and too much talk of whether he's a system guy. Withe the lack of quality CB's and the money available, I expect him to get $8mil/yr.

I think Clements may get more...like 9mil a year. I don't think people will give him more than Bailey though.

Of course, some team may be enamored with Samuel's 10 INT's and younger age and 'show him the money.'

Anyway, this is the kind of money we should expect for those players...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar