Clayton knocks Titans for not getting #1 or #2 WR

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Is it not pretty clear by now that we're building a non-traditional offense? We have invested heavily in our backfield rushing attack and the short passing game (RBs and TEs). What's the point of having great WRs when the ones we already have will do just fine in our scheme? Heimerdinger will get what he needs to get our of the WRs we have.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If we, the posters here, were discussing any other team than the Titans, I believe EVERY poster would be laughing the idiotic strategy of drafting 3 RBs in the first two rounds of three straight drafts.

At least with the Lions, had it worked out when they went WR draft crazy, they could have all those WRs on the field at the same time.

What are we going to do? Run 3 RB sets?

To me, it seems either:
    1) Lendale pissed Jeff Fisher off and is not going to get anywhere near the carries of last season regardless if he is the best or worst back on the roster.
    2) The coaching staff has no faith in Chris Henry being a good NFL back.
    or
    3) The coaching staff / Front office believes Chris Johnson is a future HOFer and couldn't pass him up.

For Vince, I feel badly for him. Hopefully Alge is enough to elevate his passing game. It is still unbelievable to me that the best WR Vince has EVER had to work with in the NFL is Drew Bennett. Vince hasn't been given a fair chance to succeed as a QB, imo.

You guys can credit Heimy and believe that he will make all the difference, I certainly hope so, but I'm not optimistic. Someone is going to have to break out huge, or opposing defenses are all going to figure the play is either: Vince run, CJ run, LW run, Alge dump off pass. Which takes away any fear of deep or even middle-deep bombs.

I guess the plan is to make opposing LBs fear our offense, because they'll have the unenviable task of covering vince, covering the field because of CJ, and locking onto a very good TE in Alge.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Merling would have normally gone a little earlier but this was a very deep draft for DEs. Same for groves a guy you would have cheered for us to get and was drafted after merling.

As for bennett at the 54th pick? Good receiver and blocker. Huge almost 6'7 with a huge wingspan and a major threat near the goaline. Cowboys got a great deal getting him at 60th. Note that the cowboys have one of the elite TEs in the league and have him signed through 2012 but still couldn't pass up on bennett. The boys also took the great RB value of this draft tashard choice with the 122nd pick.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

sports hernia surgery didn't help his draft status.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Thank you!

Their opinion of chris henry was obvious when after seeing johnson run around some at OTAs they already declared that they wanted him to get 15 touches a game. I do think they are concerned about lendale's knee.

Mewelde moore a back with speed and a 4.9 career ypc was available in free agency for less than $2M a year. Steelers signed him for a 3 year deal for $4.95M. His SB was only $1.31M. Moore is a good receiver out of the backfield catching 46 passes one year.

For not even $3M a year we could have had moore and dominik rhodes. Wouldn't have cost us a single draft pick.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think that guy is going to be awesome. Just watch how many passes he catches. You are going to be taking that one back come December. :wink2:

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Oh i'm sure CJ will catch a whole lot of passes. They will do their darnest to prove he was a good pick and throw like hell to him. Reggie bush has caught 161 balls in his 2 years. Too bad only 6 of those catches(3.7%) went over 20 yards and 4 for TDs. Bush the guy they compared to gayle sayers has averaged a sub average 7.2 yards a catch.

So sure he can catch a lot but will it help our team?

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Considering that the Titans had such a terrible offense last season, it'll be better this season. Young is back healthy, White/Johnson combo, Crumpler, and the signing of J-Mac will help. I don't think it's great though. We're going to need a WR soon. Alot of people are saying their wasn't a true #1 WR in the draft. My idea of that is we're not going to get a #1 WR in any draft until they gain experience. If we would've drafted someone like Devin Thomas then 2 years from now he could be our #1. Instead it'll be at least another year till we draft someone with 1st round talent.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

We probably would have a cool Veer Offense. I mean wegot some serious weapns in the backfield when you break it down.

10. Them T-boyz

Them T-boyz Camp Fodder

first off we drafted three backs in three years out of need. If u remember we got Lendale because c. brown was oft injured as always and t henry was suspended and injured so we didnt know what to expect( although t henry ended up having a great 06' to everyone surprise) that offseason he left and c. brown was a free agent. this is why we drafted c. henry. this year our whole purpose was to get a game changing skill player and hopefully we've done that. As for the # 1 receiver. what do u think crumpler is? dingers best years in denver and in tenn. consited of s. sharpe leading the team in either rec. or td grabs and the same with wycheck. so i think that him and coach fisher have an idea what they want to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar