CJ video ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bluewaterpirate, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The chris johnson shift!

In the 1940s the cleveland indian's manager lou boudreau developed the ted williams shift. When ted(he was good) williams came to the plate the entire indians defense went to one side of the field.

Of course when ted was done batting they CHANGED based on the next hitter. So perhaps just perhaps when kid prima donna comes off the field the defense adapts for lendale white. Doesn't seem like a hard thing really.

If anyone is setting anyone else up it is lendale pounding ther ball helping everybody and chris henry cheering on the sidelines. Cheering is always important. :yay: :yay: :yay:

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Its harder than one might think. CJ opens open the passing game as well, which opens up the running game, adversely allowing Lendale to be effective. Everyone thinks because CJ is out, it has to go to Lendale, now the safetys cheat, and opens up the big play. Its a trickle down effect...

Hey, it looks like cheerleading can open up a lot of opportunities for people later in life... especially for dancers, actresses, politicians, ... presidents. :))

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

And then that's when we put two batters up to the plate. :brow:

The change up effect of the speed back/power back switch is as mentally wearing on the opposing teams players as it is challenging for the coaches to strategize against. Tackling a 4.2, 200 pounder is a far cry from tacking a 4.6, 250 (300? lol) pounder. On one play you are trying to take correct angles to catch the fast one, and then the next play you've gotta get low enough to tackle the big one. I can see where it would be more of a challenge to a defense. You can't get in a groove of just playing against one kind of back because as soon as you get used to it they change it up on you again.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Imagine the dilemna of scheming against a 4.2 RB in the slot, a 4.5 shifty running QB and a 250lb 4.6 RB- w/ an top blocking TE. Oy vey.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that'd be great if we were running the triple option...

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Done in moderation, I wouldn't rule it out.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not sure cj opens up anything just yet. Why are you making all these assumptions about this guy? CJ is a runningback not a WR. People think that because he is fast he can somehow just line up wide and challenge corners. He won't do that because no other RB does that.

What about the times CJ is in the game and he can't consistently run inside? Doesn't that limit the offense?

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

CJ probably won't be lined up against CBs when he is in the slot because the defense will more than likely be in their base defense if we go with a TE, 2 WRs, 2 RB set. So they will either have to cover him with a LBer or safety or play zone.

I suspect we will see a bunch of zone and CJ will be able to get to the level of the safeties very fast which will help keep them out of the box because they will have to respect his speed.

CJ can also run fake reverses and fake tosses that will keep the attention of the LBers and thus help open up the inside running lanes.

CJ doesn't even have to touch the ball and he will help the offense.

9. Nine

Nine Starter

After hearing Fisher's comments on Sirius radio, I don't think they're expecting CJ to hammer it inside a whole lot.

Fisher made the point that a player like CJ puts enormous pressure on opposing DE's and OLB's. They know that once he turns the corner, he's off and running; this forces them to protect the edges, and keeps them from cheating inside to help plug running lanes....which, of course, opens things up inside for Lendale, Henry, or Hall.

For a perfect illustration of this, just look at 2006. Defenses were forced to adopt a similar approach in defending VY; this allowed Travis Henry (who had been averaging about 3 ypc and hadn't had a 100-yard game since 2003) to suddenly jump to 5 yards per carry while routinely rack up 100+ yard games.

It's all about applying pressure on the defense, and waiting for someone to make a mistake. If CJ can make a couple big plays early in the season, defenses will be looking for him before every snap...which increases the chances of a blown coverage or gap assignment somewhere else.

I'm not expecting CJ to be the savior of a flagging offense; I simply think he'll add a different dimension to the scheme, and force opponents to find different ways to defend the Titans. And while I think he'll put up respectable numbers, I think the true measure of his value will be the overall improvement of the offense as a whole.

10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

I'm not one of those people RollTide. He will make his bread & butter mismatching the linebackers. If they stick a linebacker on him when he motions out of the backfield... instant mismatch. If they stick a corner on him, that's one less CB to worry about. Having a guy with that much speed helps, we're just not used to it.

What player isn't that true with? What about the times when White can't run inside? on a greater level, Tomlinson, Peterson? Of course it hurts the offense...

If you wanna play that card, we both know little to nothing in this regard(unless you happen to be a pro scout or work for the Titans). I'm speculating on what he would do to our offense. If you have a good football player who is extremely fast, we better find some way to use him. You create packages or whatever for him. Make other teams scheme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar