CJ earns praise for physical run

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Yards after contact: Johnson has built his reputation on speed and elusiveness, but he drew praise from coaches this week for his second touchdown last week against Indianapolis – when he overpowered a Colts defender at the goal line en route to a 7-yard score.

“I thought on that second (TD) run, he did a great job,” Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said. “That was probably his best run as far as hitting the hole with speed, lowering his shoulder and running over the safety.”

Johnson has at times drawn criticism for his ability to gain yards after contact. Pro Football Focus lists his average yards after contact at 1.8 per carry, which leaves him tied for 43rd among the 54 running backs who’ve played at least a quarter of their team’s snaps.

“Anytime you can get downhill and get momentum going, it makes it that much easier to break tackles,” Johnson said. “So that’s just something I have to work on. Even if nothing is there, just to keep my momentum going forward.”

Have coaches talked to Johnson about being better after contact?

“Not really, it’s more just from watching film myself,” Johnson said. “If it’s not blocked well or if there’s nothing there, just try to make some positive yards.”

Oakland’s Rashad Jennings, who the Titans will face on Sunday, tops the yards-after-contact list at 3.4 yards per carry, according to PFF.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

yah ok

3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

1 run out of 783.. well done

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

But most importantly: he helped our team win.

oh wait.. no he didn't.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

How can we be giving praise to players when we have lost 5 of 6 games! What is this, everyone is a winner?? Loggains needs to STFU. This sh** has been pissing me off for awhile now, how much more I can take, IDK. :rant:

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I wish we'd get a RB that could force CJ into a backup role. I know he started in 2008 but it really felt like the backfield still belonged to LenDale White, and that year CJ ran with energy and was breaking tackles left and right.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Great job doing what you should have been doing all along :clap:

8. JCBRAVE

Next week when I come to work on time for the first time in over 3 years, I want a pat on the back.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I used to think... Well maybe he is giving his all and the o line really does just suck that bad. Then you see some glimpses and flashes of awesome... And I have to wonder... Idk if he really tries as hard as he could. That one run kinda exemplified that

10. JCBRAVE

Ive been screaming for 2+ years that CJ just doesn't try at times. Its like he only gives his all when everyone else is too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar