CJ’s 40 record safe … for now

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans Insider, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I wouldnt. NFL 40 times are always faster than how track and field time their events. CJ realistically ran about a 4.45 or os by track timing standards. Like I mentioned with Jeff Demps. Demps would have beaten CJ easily in any type of race they ever ran. The 40 is an NFL thing, it isnt a track thing. There is no 40 yard sprint in track. With regards to Demps (now i get a 65 is different, people can slow down, accelerate, whatever so it isnt a perfect comparison). But averaging it out, Demps would have ran close to a 4 flat in a 40, where as CJ would have been closeer to a 7.5 in a 65 meters.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But regardless, the 40 time is a way over rated statistic. Calvin Johnson ran a 4.61, which realistically is probably closer to a 4.9. But, he is 6 foot 6 240 pounds and basically indefensible. His 40 time matters little. He can run routes, has good hands, and his size is ridiculous for a WR, so who cares about his speed really? Match him up with Rodgers_Cromartie, or any CB with crazy speed, and they still have no chance of defending him.

4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Ok so here is my question. If the 40 is the standard used to measure speed for football, in what way is it relevant that Demps might beat CJ in a different race? It isn't. Our discussion is about the 40 yard dash, not any other race or distance. My guess is that Demps will beat CJ in a hundred going by their personal bests but what we are debating is whether he can run a faster 40.The fact that the 40 isn't a real track and field race is completely beside the point and has no bearing on the fact that CJ has the fastest time.

Also I showed you that Demps is only 0.01 seconds faster than Holiday in the 100 and Holiday only ran 4.27 which is 0.03 seconds slower than CJ's time. These are facts. How do you logically counter that argument without conjecture?

I agree with you that the combine timing isn't as accurate as track and field but if you're gonna apply the .20-.24 time differential to CJ's time you must also do it to every other time ever taken. The result is that every time is .20-.24 second "slower" but CJ still has the record for the fastest 40. Whether the record is 4.24 or 4.44 is actually irrelevant because we're right back where we started. As long as your saying things like "Demps could have" or "averaging it out" your drifting from established facts and figures into the area of conjecture and guessing.

All we know is that CJ by our current standards has the 40 yd dash record at 4.24. I'm sure someone will break it within the next decade but exactly who or when is fittingly left for time to decide.

5. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

For the record Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 40 at the combine.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If someone believes Bo Jackson ran anything under a 4.3 I have some land on the moon to sell you.

I still think he was one of if not the most gifted athlete we've seen- but he didn't run under a 4.3. Probably right at it- which is ridiculous for his size.

And hand-time isn't really a decent measure.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

The 40 is the most overrated thing in football. I could care less about how fast a football player can run on a track with no pads with perfect running technique. I care how they play on the field. There's a huge difference between football speed and track speed.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

^true.

The only players 40 really matters for is WRs and CBs. The rest... meh.

And even then, so many more important factors.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This property you have, is it near the beach by any chance?

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

lol? Or would it have been completely irrelevant either way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar