Chris Johnson vs. Chris Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alpha-Centuri, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If I knew I was in good position to be drafted high (Day 1), I wouldn't stand-out at the Senior Bowl either.
    Why risk the injury?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

adarius bowman?

or on the flip side of that, rogers-cromartie?

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Simple, the money. DRC moved from the bottom of the 1st (at the best) to the middle of the 1st because of the Senior Bowl. That's an easy 5 or 10 mil.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I honestly have no idea what that means.

I have always objected to the idea of a so called change of pace back. For the 24th pick i want a stud. If eddie geroge was there at 24 we pass because he is a big back like lendale? That would be dumb.

I look forward to seeing chris johnson returning kicks for us. I think he can help our passing game. Last year we had a fast back who was a good receiver(Chris Brown) and we just used him as a blocker. Maybe johnson can create some matchup problems as a receiver. we'll find out if he can run real routes or just be a dump pass and screen guy.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You guys who say you love this pick keep giving us reasons to be concerned. Not a "pure back"? Injuries are a concern? Are we talking about chris brown or chris johnson?

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

28 yards a kick return...

8.5 yards a catch...

28 yard average was 10th best in the league last year. That's the yard stick for johnson. If he returns his first 10 kicks and is only averaging 23-24 yards a pop we should be concerned. We can get anyone to do that.

8 yards a catch is average for an nfl RB. Slow westbrook averaged 8.6 yard per catch. We should expect our first rd pick with that insane gayle sayers explosiveness to do that well.

In his career as a titan chris brown averaged 4.3 yards a rush and 9 yards a catch. He wouldn't have cost us any draft choices.

7. TM

TM Starter

Just out of curosity, how many peoole in this thread have seen Chris Johnson play?

I have. He can run between the tackles just fine. Maybe not 25 times a game for 16 games, but his runnings skills are fine. He'll be a very good player for us and get 12-15 combined touches a game, more than any rookie WR.

And BTW, Chris Henry doesn't make anywhere close to 2M a year, more like about 350K.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Actually we are both wrong..

He signed a 4 year $2.89M deal with a $1.23M signing bonus. That means he counts an average of $720,000 against the cap each year and an average of $770,000 in the next three years not taking into account any incentives . A lot less than i thought but still rather steep for a third string back who never plays.

FYI lendale white's contract is almost identical at 4 years $2.91M.

My guess is that johnson's contract will be about double those deals.

9. TM

TM Starter

White and Finnegan made 360K last year as their second year base salary. So I won't be far off this year for Henry in his second year.

There's a big difference in what you pay a guy in base salary and his cap number.

Nice try equating the two.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

TM, so the $1.23M we gave the guy last year in SB doesn't count? I guess not to you since you didn't have to pay it.. It is a check we had to write and it counts against the cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar