Chris Johnson in the slot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

We keep hearing about Chris Johnson playing in the slot in articles such as this one:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080902/SPORTS01/809020359/1027

Yet, I don't remember seeing him in the slot once all preseason. Is this our "secret weapon"??? Too good for the team to tip their hand in the preseason??? I'll say if it is, it will be one hell of a surprise for the Jags. They are likely gameplanning for eight men in the box every snap. I would love to see the look on Del Rio's face when they break the huddle and CJ lines up in the slot for the first time.

Otherwise, why does it still get mentioned???

"I can do it all" -Chris Johnson

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"He also mastered the art of shaking off leg tacklers."

that's news to me.

3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I doubt it gets used often, but every now and then i expect it

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If he is the playmaker I think he is, he should be on the field as much as possible. I think Dinger will put him in the slot, out wide and beside White at times.

I love playing the Jags first. They don't have anything to watch on how the Titans plan on using CJ.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Part of why we didn't see it in the preseason may be that CJ turned out to be a much better between-the-tackles runner than most were expecting.

6. We'll use him all over the place, much like the Saints do with Reggie Bush. You can bet he'll get a number of snaps lined up wide.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

i think im gonna have to bump him up from 1000 yards combined rushing+recieving to 1200 or 1300 in my prediction... hopefully he lives up to what we all expect out of him.

On the original topic, we're all pretty sure the only reason we saw vanilla stuff was because it wasn't the actual season. I agree with SK, he'll be our Reggie Bush, hopefully even better though.

8. DLS33

DLS33 Guest

I don't see why this is a suprise to anyone. CJ is the fastest player on the field everytime he steps on it. If Dinger doesn't utilize CJ in the slot he should be fired. Especially since we have zero reliable hands. But I fully expect CJ to be used everywhere.

9. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

.. I agree that it will be very interesting what we plan on doing with CJ. We weren't given much in the preseason as in the way of plays for CJ but I was very surprised of how many balls he dropped. All this talk about him being really good out of the backfield then he drops like 4-5 passes in preseason. Not dogging him but just a thought.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In the slot he is out of his element. It's harder to get him the ball and he has less favorable matchups.

As a receiver he is best in the typical RB role catching screens, flares and dink and dunk passes. Those passes give him some room to run facing the defense as opposed to running routes in the open field where he can get his head taken off.

Keep using him like we did in preseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar