Chow and scrambling QBs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MacNine, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNine

MacNine Starter

Good article about the USC QB situation and Chow. One key point was the quote below:

"Billy Hart drops back and nobody is open, so he bobs and jumps and weaves and jukes and finally buys a little time," Wilson Hart said. "He sees the fullback over the middle and powers the ball in sidearm and hits the guy. Then he comes off the field, thinking he's done a fine thing, and Norm says, 'Billy, that was a great play. Next time, throw the damned ball away.'

"That sums it all up. The point Norm was making is that he didn't want (a scrambling quarterback). When it's not there, dump it and don't risk losing 10 yards."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3813046.html

2. titanduck77

titanduck77 Camp Fodder

interesting

3. Well then.........Chow will have to adapt

4. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Youre @#%$ right! This doesnt look good for Vince. Even if we draft him could it be that the coaches mentallity will limit VY's production on the field?

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There was an interesting quote by Reese today referencing how you pick guys who can give you production the soonest by finding those who fit the scheme. If they take that approach with the third pick, then you'll see Leinart drafted.

Think about it a minute. The offense spent all last season adapting to a new offense. Though it is likely still being adjusted, you can bet it should be a well-oiled machine in another couple of seasons.

So after two or three years, they'll change it again to utilize the strengths of Young? Or would they try to fit a circle in a square peg as they did McNair?

Maybe too much is being made of it and Chow's current system can be adjusted to utilize Young's strengths. But if you draft to fit the scheme, as the Pats have so successfully done, then the pick is Leinart.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Now you really think Floyd is really thinking that. :ha:

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't believe a dang thing Reese says these days. :)

BUT, give this a little thought. Chow brings in an offense designed for quick three-step drops and short passes. Though I don't think the offense we saw most of last season was close to how it was drawn up to work, it still appears to be an offense which calls for quick decisions and getting the ball out of the backfield fast.

I'd like to know just how much the Chow offense would have to change for Young. Any major changes would set back the offense quite a bit and we'd need to see many of those adjustments begin right away as Young obviously has to learn the offense he is expected to run by '07.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think the pick will also have something to say about Chow's position. To me at this point he's kind of a question mark, so they could draft Young and force chow to work with him. If they're committed to sticking with Chow, it would be a factor in who they pick, and your analysis makes sense TJ.

9. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I didn't read the article, but come on, Chow's system can't work with a scrambling QB? Steve Young? Hello?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar