Cheap Wine Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PickledMidget, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

I'm always looking for a good bottle of vino on the cheap ($15 and less). Anybody got any suggestions.

Here a few that I really like:

1. Red Guitar: Spanish Blend ($8.99 at Costco) Great Red with a strong finish

2. J Lohr 7 Oaks: Cab ($15.99) Great wine. More than I want to spend though.

3. Pillar Box Red: Australian Blend with a spicy finish

4. Big House Red: Cali Blend ($7.99 at Costco) Nice Smooth Red

2. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

A nice bottle of Hock,Lidl Supermarket,£1.99.:wack:

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I only drink white wines, but if you get any Sauvignon Blanc from the NZ Marlborough area you can't go wrong.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

If you want to go low end red .... smoking loon ... makes some good crap wine ...

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I know someone is going to roll their eyes or mock this, but it's really true. Several wineries are starting to make decent quality reds in boxes. You get four bottles worth of wine, and since it's not exposed to air, you can drink it without it going bad for about a month. Toad Hollow makes a pino noir called Le Faux Frog. Sure, it's nothing great, but it's perfectly acceptable for a house red. In TN, it's about $25. That's for four bottles worth of wine. Doubt if you want, but it's better than seaching for cheap bottles. I spent 6 years working in two restaurants that had wine cellars with over 30,000 bottles, one of which had a list that was ranked in the top ten in the US (sadly, it was almost entirely lost to Katrina). I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've had a lot of experience and exposure to wine. As far as quality but cheap wine, that stuff is the real deal.

I also agree with the smoking loon, and malborough sav. blanc suggestions though.

6. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

I've heard of Smoking Loon.....but have never had it.

I've had some Boxed Wine and really liked it. Black Box makes a Cab that is pretty good. I will check out the Frog Wine.

Bipolar, I have never attended a wino picnic! :) For the record, I love beer.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

TJ knows how to party...reminds me of a friend who gets a bottle of boone's farm and tops it off with vodka... yeah, that's why we don't hang out that much...

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Forest Glen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar