Cards WR Boldin asks for trade --- MUST ACT NOW

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Boldin will only be a free agent next year if he holds out this year. He signed a 4 year extension in 05 with 2 years remaining on his original deal. So he is under contract until 2010.

I doubt if the cardinals will give him the kind of deal they gave fitzgerald so they will either trade him or placate him with another extension that would give him a huge bonus. That's what i would do.

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

things did get more intersting though...

"Boldin: Relationship with Cards can't be saved" - si.com/nfl

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think Boldin is well worth a 1st and 3rd round pick. Assuming we finish around where we did last season or better we aren't talking about a high first rounder. I remember when we passed on Bowe in the draft (still makes me sick although I like Griffin) I thought he was that kind of player.

Still, just from a trade perspective a 1st and a 3rd for a proven guy who can step right in and play is well worth it. We could spend a 1st rounder on a WR and it might be a year or so before the guy even comes close to Boldins ability and even though it is possible to land a guy like Bowe who came in and contributed right away for every guy like that there are 4 other guys that either take time to develop or end up being busts. Bottom line making the trade might be the only way we can be assured of getting a quality WR.

As for paying 8 mil a year we would be stupid not to. What is it going to cost if we have to go out on the market? We see guys with not nearly Boldins ability making 6 mil all the time. If we want something beyond mediocrity at WR it is simply going to cost us, no way around it. Even if we get lucky and draft a good one in the 1st round we will have to pay up eventually and again, getting a young WR in the draft that can play right away is about the same as throwing darts blind folded and hoping you get a bulls eye.

Add in that Boldin fits our system and is perfect for VY and our running game I'd be ticked if MR hasn't already made an offer.

4. Audioman

Audioman Camp Fodder

We all know what's going to happen. We won't get Boldin and we will sign someone off of
    waivers. It's the Titan way.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Why, we'd much rather use those picks on RBs and TEs?

How do you figure that Boldin fits our system perfectly? Is he RB? a TE? Those are the only dudes that catch balls on our squad. Really, he doesn't fit in with us at all, we still wouldn't have a deep threat, but another WR who prefers to play underneath the coverage. Why spend so much on someone who will not be as much of a contributor to us as he would on another team? The common argument has been that we are and always will be a running team, so if we wouldn't be any better with TOM BRADY as our QB, we won't be any better with Anquan Boldin as our WR. It still boils down to the guy behind center, VY, and his ability to get WRs the ball.

If Anquan is unhappy in a pass-happy offense, imagine how giddy he'll be sharing balls with TEs and RBs and chasing one-hoppers.

6. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that statement is not correct. Perhaps you are only refering to the preseason games. If so, then that would be fairly accurate. But if you are refering to our performance last year, then the stats don't support your claim. Here is how the numbers break down:

Wide Receivers:
    Receptions: 169
    Yards: 2,103

Tight Ends/Running Backs:
    Receptions: 117
    Yards: 961

Now, those aren't pretty numbers. I'm not defending the offense. I'm just saying that it's not accurate to say that they only throw to the Tight Ends and Running Backs in this offense.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

when was the last time you saw one of our WRs or TEs break a tackle and take a slant 35 extra yards? derrick mason against the texans in 2002 is the only one that jumps out at me.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

That's assuming that one catches a slant and doesn't have to dive or jump or put the brakes on and reach back?

I think honestly a TE/RB is a better investment with our QB play.

9. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Brandon Jones. Saints game last year. Took a slant that would have been 15 yards to the house, breaking 2 or 3 tackles. Only 1 play, but we've seen that atleast 1 player could

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:beer2:

and here's to brandon jones becoming the #1 WR this team has needed for five years, but does any one really expect him to become that? we've been waiting since his rookie year and he's shown flashes, but he's been hurt more often than he's been healthy and he's failed to produce when they game is on the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar