Cards release Matheiu

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoodCat, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

JR has gotten the roster to the point where we need quality over quantity .I'd be happy if he used picks to move up if he feels the player is worth it .

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

Big hitting safeties are not worth much these days. Need guys who can cover(mathieu)

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

I think he would be the perfect SS. He can play the run, but also cover TEs and RBs as well as slots. You don’t need those run stuffer cyp type safeties any more. Need two guys who can cover imo

4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

You'll say that until we're getting gashed on the run all day and can't stop it.

It's one thing to be able to tackle well, and another thing altogether to be able to stuff and shutdown runners. Even in today's pass happy league, having a guy that can sift through blockers and stop the run is extremely important.

5. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

Should not be relying on a safety to stop the run. That’s why you have a front 7(or 6)

Also, as I said. He plays the run plenty good.

6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

That's not true at all. Safeties help in run support more than ever with more 5 and 6 DB sets than ever before.

And Matthieu plays the run ok, but he's limited. If he comes up against Leonard Fournette, he MIGHT be able to stop him...after he's gotten 5 yards after contact.

I'd love to have Matthieu in general because he is a very, very good player, but after signing Butler we've got too much money tied up in the secondary to invest further in a guy who would basically be a luxury item.

7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Cut Cyprien and sign Mathieu

8. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Cutting Cyp would result in a ~$4.3M savings, but over $2M in dead cap. Makes more sense to keep him around and draft a safety.

EDIT: Actually, cutting him with a Post-June 1st designation would put his dead cap hit at just $750k, and the savings at almost $6M.

Cut away!

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

How many safeties are going to put fournette on his but anyways 1 on 1? Cyp sure isn’t either. I would take play makers over limited run stopping guys. Teams are much more focused on matchups so if you have badger who do you attack in our secondary?

10. GoodCat

GoodCat Starter

If these numbers are right, give Mathieu 12 a year and cut Cyp or even trade him for a late round pick. I’d def be okay with spending 6 mil more in cap to have Mathieu over Cyprien. Apparently he turned down 9 per year to stay with AZ. 12 might get it done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar