Post-Game Thread Cards 12, Titans 7

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitters21

Whitters21 Starter

On reflection the only saving grace after that inept performance yesterday is that I think regardless of our next two games, if we hold at home to Jax and finish 9-7 we will go in as the #6 seed (8-4 conference, 5-1 division).

The AFC west teams should all cancel each other out and as long as Oak doesn’t finish 9-7 we will have tie breaker over Chiefs / San Diego due to division & conference record if they finish 9-7.

I think Baltimore wins out to go 10-6 and take #5 seed but if they drop one we have tie breaker over them.

Bills should lose to the Pats which will give us the tiebreaker over them due to conference record even if they finish 9-7. We also have better division record.

I know this is nitpicking but at least something optimistic after last night. Not that we would beat the Jags but even if we drop the next two we probably hold our own destiny.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Go 9 - 7 beating the Jags in week 17 and tee them up for another 3 loss season to the Titans in the Wildcard.

3. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Bullet point style rant here from someone whose only watched the game for 2-3 years and is still learning.

• Offense completely lost us this game. Defense rips out 5 sacks and holds the opposition to 12 points, and we lose. I sat and watched/listened for the first year or so of following the Titans and EVERYONE highlighted our defense and mainly our secondary as being the problem with the team. That is clearly now not the problem. Yes there are still some lingering issues but more often than not teams eventually punt to us or take the 3.
    • We are so frustrating to watch. Murray rips out a 40 yard run only to have it called back for a holding penalty.
    • 4th and 1 with the oppositions offence going absolutely nowhere and we decide to go for broke. Huge risk, huge gamble and it didnt pay off. Just kick the ball back to them, chances are they go 3 and out and we get the ball back in 2 minutes.
    • 3rd and 3 and we decide to go long to Davis in double/triple coverage. 3rd and 5+ and we pass to Murray at the line of scrimmage who immediately gets picked up. Even I can see those plays do not match the situation.
    • Both the above happen when you play an extended O line and only send 2 guys as receiving options, of course they are going to be picked up by 1, 2 or even 3 defenders. This was the same thing that led to the 2nd interception. Guy was hanging back and wasnt even defending anyone. Opposition defenses can get away with that when we have 8 guys in the box and only 2 options for Mariota to throw to. Yes he is having a bad year with his accuracy and footwoork seemingly off. Can only really put this down to his injury and the lack of an off season. But man, hes not really being given much of a chance, and neither are the WR's for that matter.
    • How many snaps is Mariota taking down by his ankles!?! As if he needs this at the moment.
    • How many balls are our WR's dropping?! As if Mariota needs this at the moment as well.
    • The game was well and truly lost before this but 4th and 10 and we pass to our DB who has what 55 rushing yards and NO receiving yards in his career. Thats your desperation/game ending play?! Gotta be kidding me.
    Frustrated new NFL/Titans supporter.

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Don't have an issue with the 4th and 1 except maybe play call. D held them to a FG afterwards anyway, so the D was up to that challenge.

No problems with 3rd and 3 throwing long, but coverage matters and making some other deep throw attempts throughout the game would be a good idea.

Concur with the horrible 4th down play call.

Last week Tennessee opened up with a short passing game and it worked good to get rhythm and continued most of the game. I also think Mularkey fails to understand a short passing game can also open up the run.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

We need to see the coaching staff with a competent quarterback.

6. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Mariota played poorly yesterday and much of the season. However, he has had success without this sad coaching staff, but they have not had much success as a staff anywhere. All of our coaches have had crap seasons with other teams. Mularkey’s record speaks for itself.

7. iQon

iQon Starter

The Titans have frustrated me all season long, but this loss is the first one that actually stung.

I'm officially bummed out, boys.

Have we (Mariota and this offense, in particular) regressed, or have we suppressed the signs all season?

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

The Titans haven't been impressive all year. Henry has been impressive, but he is about the only one on offense.

They have limped into most of their wins. We talked about this last week, too. They have been a team that doesn't play well, that somehow has won games.
    Offensive line- downward spiral
    Murray-downward spiral,
    Mariota-downward spiral.
    Defense-trending up.

9. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Sadly I could totally see that happening. Not saying it will, but I feel 9-7 will be the ceiling.

Because this is what good coaches do. They instruct their players and react to the game, instead of calling the same play repeatedly. The announcers were saying how surprised they were that there weren't 2 returners on the field in case they kicked it short.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

We tried it a number of times, but the crowd noise made it very difficult for Mariota to communicate the play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar