Canadian Charles adjusts to NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Had he chosen to play it safe and stay at home in the Canadian Football League this year, defensive tackle Stefan Charles figures he probably would have been the number one overall pick in the CFL draft last month.

Charles was still taken 10th overall by the Edmonton Eskimos, but slipped because teams knew he’d decided to sign with the Titans as an undrafted free agent.

“It’s a risk,” Charles said of passing on the the possibility of being the top overall CFL pick. “But you only get good things if you take chances. You only get so far if you don’t take a chance.”

What have NFL OTAs been like for the 6-5, 302-pound Charles, after playing Canadian college football?

“The quality of the game played is better, and it’s a much higher speed, much quicker,” Charles said. “But I’ve got good coaches, so they’re helping me a lot and trying to get me better every day. It’s been a good start.”

Charles said he’s getting adjusted to seeing different offensive looks and formations than in the Canadian game, not to mention playing with different rules. In the Canadian game, defensive linemen have to be at least a yard off the line of scrimmage, where there is no such requirement in American football.

“Obviously that’s a change for me, so it’s just getting used to new positions and technique,” Charles said. “I like (the NFL rule) better, but you have to be more cautious of your steps, you know? When you have a yard off, there’s room for error, but here you make one bad move and you’re screwed.”

If things don’t work out for Charles with the Titans in training camp, he could still go back to play for Edmonton in the CFL. But the Eskimos’ season begins on Friday, so they’ll be well into their schedule by the time he would join them in August.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Wish him the best of luck, but he seems like a DaJohn Harris. Undrafted and won't make a difference til a couple years if he sticks.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Dude is a Falcons fan, which is not a Steeler so he's cool in my book. He also looks the part on film, so Im optimistic about this kid.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He did an interview a little while back, he was asked "What would you tell NFL teams that are interested in drafting you?"
    A: You definitely won’t regret it. I am going to be one of the best.

Big words coming from the The Hammer's cousin..

But this guy being here, Scott Solomon trying his hand at OLB, and Greg Williams in house, I really think we're slowly moving to a 3-4.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I hope he does well. He is not my cousin. If any NFL player is it would be Vaughn Martin who is from the west side of London, Ontario where I grew up.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar