Can you really trade Volek to the Chargers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by #90, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Same question. If KFC is the better QB, then wouldn't he get higher trade offers?

2. I never said he was so damned good. I said he was a solid, capable starter. Nothing more. Just more than Volek.

Volek costs $1M and is signed through next year. Collins costs $2M plus incentives and has a 1-year deal. The Chargers did try to sign Collins (never said how much they offered), but he chose to come here and start rather than be a backup.

Plus, I have no reason to believe that the Titans are offering up Collins in trade because then they would be left without a starter again. If Vince were ready, they might be willing. But he isn't.

But you somehow think that you and a bunch of other nobody fans knows better than they do? Yeah, that's likely... :rolleyes:

3. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Why is there even a discussion about Collins' career? It is irrelevant at this point. All it matters is what he has done lately, not what he did with the Panthers or Giants many years ago.

Warner and Brunell had solid careers as well and they lead their respective teams to winning seasons and playoffs, but in the present they are not the same QBs they were back then and that's all that matters now.

Since Collins is the Titans starter, we should be asking what is so good about Collins, not Volek... and I honestly don't have an answer for that.

4. Collins isn't so good. But he was the best available on short notice after they gave up on Billy.

5. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

This is both the fallacy of argument from authority (they are professionals so they must be right) and the ad hominum attack (you are a nobody, why should we listen to you?).

Classic!

But I suppose that when KFC is so obviously a problem for the team, there are not many other strategies to pursue to defend the decision.

I think making sure we are meaning the same thing when you say "capable starter." I include "capable of winning" in my definition.

If the Titans offered up Collins in trade, they would indeed be left with a starter; Volek. A QB who once had the complete confidence of the staff and team.

6. I'm not suggesting that the Titans didn't bungle the situation (they should have signed Collins months ago if they wanted him). But they are trying to make the best of what they have now. And I have already said a number of times why Collins is the choice right now.

As for "nobody fans", I'm one too. We all are with perhaps rare exceptions. My point is that you (like most fans) question the front office and coaching decisions as if you or I know squat. It's like that Brett Favre commercial about Monday morning quarterbacking...

7. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Making the best of what they have now means giving Volek an honest shot, demoting KFC to #3, and seeing if it will work when it matters.

Failure to take that step is not "making the best of what they have now."

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I don't think he's a saviour, but I KNOW he would give us a better shot at winning games this year.

And so what he's thrown for a lot of yards, he hasn't won a whole lot of games and 174 TD's in 154 games doesn't sound so hot to me... that's worse than the likes of Brees, Bledsoe, Brooks and only better than Boller and Harrington of the QB's I looked at (I didn't even bother to look at the likes of Brady, Green, Manning or McNabb).

Aaron Brooks has 19224 yards and 120 TD's in 87 games against Collins 33917 yards and 173 TD's in 154 games...

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

And they may be wrong. It happens all the time, and may be happening now at other positions on this team. There will probably not be a valid comparison ever to settle this since Volek will probably never start many games in SD.

But if that's how the future plays out, and Collins continues to suck, I'll wonder if Billy could have done better. I think it's very likely he is better. I never saw Billy play as bad as you make him out to be. But it could be a decision based on more than just play.

The season wasn't going to be very good either way, but you have to wonder how the players really take this and what affect it may have in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar