Can Vince lead a team to a Superbowl?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

There has been a lot of talk about Vince after his 2007 season. I personally view him as a "mobile" quarterback and if not for his legs he would not have been a 3rd overall pick.

I started to wonder how important a THROWING quarterback is.

Recently there was a post in the "Ball control no longer works in the NFL" thread that argued the Colts won the Superbowl last year due to their running game, and defense. It was NOT noted, however, that during that 2006 season, in order to have the home field advantage throughout and put their team in a good position to compete in the playoffs and win the Superbowl, Peyton did THROW for 4400 yards (2nd most in the NFL behind Brees), while Addai was 18th in rushing yardage. And, more importantly Manning had THE BEST passer rating.

That got me very curious as to how important passing indicators in the regular season reflect the Superbowl winners (and sometimes the losing opponents.) Below are the Superbowl winning QB's each year along with where they ranked in Passer Rating during that regular season. The only years it didn't seem to be an important indicator was 2003 and 2000, but it seemed to be a very trendy parallel that the Superbowl teams had a very efficient QB.

Superbowl winning Passer Rating ranks. SB loser in ()
    2006 Manning 1st
    2005 Roethlisberger 3rd (Hasselbeck 4th)
    2004 Brady 9th (McNabb 4th)
    2002 B. Johnson 3rd (Gannon 2nd)
    2001 Brady 6th (Warner 1st)
    1999 Warner 1st
    1998 Elway 5th (Chandler 4th)
    1997 Elway 7th (Favre 3rd)
    1996 Favre 2nd (Bledsoe 8th)
    1995 Aikman 3rd
    1994 Young 1st
    1993 Aikman 2nd
    1992 Aikman 3rd
    1991 Rypien 2nd (Kelly 3rd)
    1990 Simms 4th (Kelly 1st)
    1989 Montana 1st
    1988 Montana 6th (Esiason 1st)

It does appear that the trend began to prove less true after the 1990's, (giving me hope as a Titans/Vince fan) so again, my curiosity got the best of me. 2007 was a very interesting year with the QB passer rating relative to playoff teams.

Here is the seasons rankings of all 12 playoff QB's. It's pretty amazing that the best 8 passing QB's ALL MADE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR. And unless Eli or Rivers win this weekend (7 point, and 14 point underdogs respectively), this indicator will hold true yet again.

1. Brady
    2. Roethlisberger
    3. Garrard
    4. Manning
    5. Romo
    6. Favre
    7. Garcia
    8. Hasselbeck
    18. Rivers
    20. Campbell
    25. E. Manning
    26. V. Young (30th in his rookie season)

Ugh. It looks like we will need to be an exception to the rule or Vince will need to improve big time as a passer in order to be successful in the NFL. I suddenly don't feel so good :grrr:

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he's also the youngest guy on that list in terms of game experience. only two of those qbs on that list played well in their second seasons(most of them weren't even starters)

patience is a virtue.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Well, I think for you to make a fair comparison, you should now show the qb ratings of all these qb's in their 1st and 2nd year. And then if it proves your point, you should feel not so good. But my guess is that you will be surprised. What you've done in most cases is compare a 6-10 year vet up against a sophmore qb and that's just not fair since most of those qb's had there fair share of struggles.

4. mdfan

mdfan Starter

My 2 cents ....

Vince and the offensive talent around him need to improve a lot in order for us to get to the super bowl. MR and Fisher will bring in some upgrades to the talent around Vince. Vince is motivated to improve and will get better. Dinger and his position coaches will get significant improvements out of our offense.

I do think that Vince will lead us to more than one superbowl in his career.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Of course it looks good when you leave out certain years and other ratings.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We went to the super bowl with mcnair so i see no reason we can't go there with young. Winning once you get there is another thing..

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

We sure better hope so....otherwise its going to be a long next 3-5 years.

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I think Mawae said it best, that he has to become a student of the game.

It isn't Peyton Manning's ability to throw, but rather his ability to read the opposing defense.

VY needs to become a football nerd to best know when to run and when to pass (and to whom he should pass) rather than get caught up in public perceptions and expectations about what he should do.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Whenever these comparisons are made we find ourselves comparing hall of fame QBs with the so called running QBs. Is it fair? There have not been that many running QBs while there have been hundreds of those other guys. What we know is that cunningham-mcnair-mcnabb are near hall of famers. Just because they are not as good as a montana or brady doesn't mean a thing because those guys are the best ever..

Cunningham and mcnair could have won super bowls. A missed FG from one of the most reliable kickers ever cost cunningham a chance at a super bowl a super bowl he may have won. We know how close mcnair got and mcnabb came close also.

Cunningham-mcnabb-mcnair-garrard all have had 100+ passing ratings for a season. A lot of QBs have not done that.

Cunningham-mcnabb-mcnair-garrard-vick-v young all have won at least 52% of all the games they have played. That proves to me that a running QB can be a winner even if he is not a great passer and being a winner means a super bowl can happen.

10. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

I cant believe we're already asking if VY can take a team to a Superbowl? Good lord, we just got to the playoffs this season, VY is going into his 3rd, technically 2nd full season. And of all those QB's you listed, only Brady and Roethlisberger won a Superbowl in less time than VY has been in the league. How many years did it take Manning to get over the hill? How old was Warner when he finally got there? Hell, McNabb spent 4 years straight of getting to the NFC championship, 3 not getting to the Superbowl. I love how everybody wants to question VY now, becuz of 1 bad statistical season that will still got to the playoffs. By the way of all those QB's in that list, name one that didnt have some sort of offensive weapon to use? I think before anyone puts up a list like this, they should also state what the QB's surrounding offense was like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar