Can The Titans Become An Explosive Offense This Year And Beyond?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

While some of you are wasting your brain cells trying to think of WR who failed in Fisher's oppressive system but then soared in a more progressive offense i have another bit of homework for you.

Look up all the games that titan RBs combined for 40 carries and tell me how many of those games we lost. Good luck with that one. There might not be one.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Its not all Fishers fault. The injuries were unforseeable, but Fisher still bares part of the blame ...

Fisher had a lot of say in who this team drafted over the years, and he backed going after guys late like Joel Filani, Paul Williams, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams, as a solution for the WR problem. It wasn't enough. Not all Fishers fault, bc the GM ultimately makes those decisions, but Fisher had a big role in the process.

I do blame Fisher for the fact that none of our recievers seem to have developed under him. He never really gave chances to the younger guys for fear they would make a mistake ... News Flash. Thats how you learn. He also employed a WR coach that thought throwing bricks to his receivers instead of footballs would make them better. :sad2: It was fishers responsiblity to fill his staff with competent coaches that could better the team. He never had anyone that could develop WRs.

I also remember Fisher using Randy Moss as a blocker/decoy instead of a WR threat.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

At least VY actually won something giving his believers something to go on. Fish never did sh and never will. His apologists are masochists.

4. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Says the guy who takes pride in being associated with Alabama. Where Wal-Mart is Tiffany's

5. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Obviously, you are right. Nobody we ever had here went on to great success elsewhere.

But I think the issue is that we never had anybody worth a damn in here in the first place. It just wasn't a priority for our team.

Fischer obviously favored a run heavy, defense oriented team. And for a while, that brought us a modicum of success. But I think most of us recognize that the NFL has moved away from that model, and are glad to see us going in another direction.

This is truly the first time in Titans history where we might actually have good weapons across the board. Hell, we may have better weapons sitting on the bench next year and the year after than we ever had in the Fisher era.

I prefer to just be excited about the future, and forget about the past. Honestly, this forum needs a VY/Fischer exorcism. We can all gather around a fire pit and burn some things, get it all out of our system, and move on.

_____

I will say this as well... criticize the strategy Fischer employed if you like. I do. But most of the problem was with the player selection part of the operation. Even if you want to be a defensive team... we rarely ever had any legit top level defensive stars. Kearse. Haynesworth for a while. Rolle. Bulluck?

And the picks wasted! SOOO many high picks that just got us nothing. I certainly see improvement last year, and hope to see that continue with this new crop. But only time will tell.

Now, how much influence did Fischer have in the draft room? We'll never know. I tend to think quite a bit, but that's just a guess.

Our FO has always been great in the middle and late rounds, and a horrorshow in the early rounds. If we can correct the latter, this franchise is going places.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ok so justify that claim by naming me just one who failed under fisher but went some place else and thrived.

I forgot about Brandon Jones our best looking rookie in 2007 who then tore his knee up.

Don't understand that one either. Bulluck was done as a player and so basically was Haynesworth who didn't deserve half what he wanted and got. Rolle was a cap casualty that fisher was a victim of. So also was Kearse really. So that point really isn't one.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So we blame Fisher for the WRs who failed like Robey but don't give him credit for Washington, Cook and Dwill who were all brought in while Fisher was here?

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Washington? Fine. He brought in a decent #2 receiver.

Cook has been all potential, no payoff thus far.

And Dwill hasn't done jack, and probably never will. The fact that we took a reciever in the first should tell you how the coaching staff feels about him.

9. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Washington under achieved, and dropped passes while fisher was here. After one season with new coaches in a new scheme he is suddenly good ... hmmm maybe fisher was holding him back.

Same story with DWill, Hawk and Cook. Sure Fisher brought them in, but what did he do with them. Let them rot on the bench. 1st year under new regime they all have their career best years. hmmm...

I seem to remember Fisher brining in Randy Moss as well. Then used him as a decoy and extra blocker.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Since RollTide loves Fish so much, from now on RollTide shall be known as Captain Gorton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar