Can RROD be fixed?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by cayal, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cayal

cayal Starter

Can the RROD be fixed? I am thinking of buying a 360 off ebay that has a RROD assuming it can be fixed if I send it off.

Also what is the difference between the 3 console types? (Core, Arcade and Elite?)

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, microsoft will either send you a new xbox or a refurbished one, but make sure it still has the warranty before you buy it.

and if they ask you, tell them you're the original owner.

3. Toly

Toly Free your mind

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah, unless it's dirt cheap (like under 50 dollars) I wouldn't touch it. It's probably past warranty, and unfixable. I actually heard a way to get rid of the rings temporarily, and the box is playable, but it might cause it to catch fire.

you wrap it in a towel or something, and it overheats, and resets something, or something. look it up if you're willing to take the risk, but I wouldn't.

5. cayal

cayal Starter

Thanks, it looks like I'll just save for a proper one.

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

circuit city is trash though. I wouldn't count in them for much. Well be lucky if they're still open by then

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there are claims that you can 'reverse' RROD, but the methods suggested don't sound like it would work

I wonder why it matters anymore. $199 is a good price point, you're gonna spend that in software this christmas ... spend some coin on hardware, don't go after one that's already failed

why?
    get a new chipset, if it currently has RROD, it most likely going to get it again
    not sure if MS will honor an eBay re-sell as known non-working unit
    there may be more wrong with it ... which will become painfully obvious once you get it on
    everything about the new ones warrants just buying a new one
    hopefully 45nm Jaspers by now, or Valhalla's early 09
    HDMI (yeah, mine doesn't have it)
    quiter drives
    quiter fans
    less heat
    new, clean (60gb) HDD

if you really have to go the used route, there are merchants who sell refurbished 360's for less than $100 ...... working ...... with either 90day or 1yr wrrnty's
    remember, MS claims to back RROD for 3 years. but would guess that would not imply to a non-working 3rd party auction

Caveat Emptor

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

wow .... it must be a different world in Panama

here, almost every CC store in existence is forcasting closing
    and the Arcade does not come with a HDD
    that looks doable for just $199 though

although, when I went to by the 'lunchbox' version of Fallout3 the other day at CC (because they're liquidating and it was 15% off), when I was walking out, the big guy at the door took a sharpie to the barcode and the purchase price, then took a big stamp that probably said something like ALL SALES FINAL / NON-RETURNABLE on it

so purchasing from Circuit City at the moment looks to also be (is) a risk

looks like the best place to buy would be like Best Buy really for their much talked about extended warranty
    or Sams Club where they currently offer the best return policy (and a pretty damn good / economical warranty)

and on top of that, you really want one of the newest ones that don't run as hot (ie overheating / RROD)

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

There's a fix, but it's temporary. You can heat the system up in a towel (see rrod fix on youtube) and it'll work. But you never know just how long. Could be an hour, could be 2 weeks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar