Can one player make a difference?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No, it isn't. But at the same time, if he is willing to sign a long-term deal for possibly less money than he would elsewhere BECAUSE of his lack of production other years, the head-stomping incident, loyalty to the team who gave him a start, etc., then throwing around the franchise threat isn't possibly the best approach.

If this thing goes into mid-February and starts to get ugly, then I fully expect they'll franchise him or trade him for someone's first-round draft pick. No way they let him walk.

We have no idea how Al will react to being tagged if that happens. He may refuse to play or simply go through the motions unless the tag is guaranteed to only be used for one season. That being the case, I think the long-term contract will cost even more for the Titans and the risk of losing him is much greater.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I agree. If somehow we can get him at what appears a bargain deal for the long-term, then you almost have to do it. But if we are talking about a long-term Top 5 ever contract for a DT; then I'm pretty sure I think franchising is the way to go. A lot depends on how the season plays out.

I mean, if he's tagged, and he sits out training camp... oh well. I don't think he could just "go through the motions" during the season, because he would still have to work hard to guarantee a great deal would come.

It is a risk though. Because if he has back to back dominant seasons then we have no choice but to pay him a huge contract after that. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during MRs negotiations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar