Can anyone justify Andrew Luck's decision?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

From what I understand, his family is pretty well off. And unless he has a one-in-a-million injury, he's still a multi-millionaire first round pick next year. So if you don't need money now, and you know you'll make way more than you could ever spend later either way, which would be more fun:

Starting at quarterback for a Stanford team that won a BCS Bowl last year and will inevitably compete for a conference championship next year

or

Working your way up the depth chart for a team that only won 2 games last year and is located 2500 miles from your home.

Not to mention that with a degree from Stanford in Architectural Design, he'll make more than 90% of us anyways.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I agree, but what could Andrew Luck do with 80 million dollars that he can't do with 50 million dollars, other than make more money with it? There's virtually nothing in the world that 50 million won't buy one hundred times over, and Luck seems to be a down-to-Earth type guy anyways.

I agree that giving up 30 million dollars is a lot of money, but I don't think a single individual could ever tell the difference between having 50 in the bank rather than 80.

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

No, but you are trashing his decision (saying you can't justify his decision = trashing his decision IMO), and calling anyone who doesn't agree with you STUPID, so I figured I would weigh in to give you another opportunity to do that.

Anyway, your whole argument is about money (or opportunity....whatever). So if you agree that there is more to life than money then what is the point of the rant?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You misinterpreted my intention and taken something a little too personal, imo. Perhaps I wasn't referring to you at all?

Kind of like this:

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=68276

and your interpretation of the "pay for friends" comments. Lighten up. And I really don't mean that to be offensive.

I started this thread because, in my mind, I can't see a justification for Andrew Luck staying in college another year and passing up the money now.

I thought, through reading the responses, I might understand a different point of view. If those that stated the rookie scale will be in place for this year's draft are accurate, that has slightly changed my outlook. (although there are still those risks associated with injuries) I just thought maybe I'd read something that would make me look at it in a different way.

5. Alex1939

Start a business empire employing hundreds of people and therefore providing income to their families.

Start a non-profit charity organization that again employee's people while providing benefit to less fortunate, sick, hungry, etc.

Gift 1 million dollars to the closest 30 people in his life. (or more tax appropriate could start trusts for 30 younger family members, nieces, nephews, cousins, children, etc etc that would go to them when he is deceased)

Pay for new buildings and athletic structures at Stanford.

etc
    etc

6. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Fine, whatever....by the way, my question on the fraternity thing was simply because I had never heard that one before (maybe a sign of my age....we were called alot of things back then too, but not that).

I generally keep it light, but when I hear and read folks calling other folks STUPID when talking about other folks opinions, I get a little more engaged in the discussion. That is a vice of mine I guess.

7. Alex1939

Let me clarify by the most menacing smiley ever, the eyeroll...

(page 1 and 2 of this thread)

:rolleyes:

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

My God does the SEC arrogance know no end? This is by far BY FAR the stupidest thing I've ever seen on this forum. Luck didn't play in the SEC so he's not fully committed to football? What the hell kinda sense does that make? You don't go to a Pac 10 school if you're serious about football? Tell me you're kidding! BTW how many great QBs have come out of the SEC recently? Uhh Peyton and.... Eli? Cutler? I guess Troy Polamalu should have gone to the SEC to, maybe he'd be the best safety in the league?! Oh wait, he already is.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I understand the difference, but like someone said there is very little he could do with 80 million that he can't with 50.
    And if his goal is to make as much money as he can then he hasn't made the right choice (assuming there is no scale in the next draft) but I think it is clear that his goal isn't to make as much money as he can.

10. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

I think his reason is "He didn't want to do it." and its a pretty dammn good reason if you ask me.

Hey, it might also saves a team 30 mil, and save our butts if we cant find a QB this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar