Can anyone justify Andrew Luck's decision?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Matt Leinart still has a ridiculous amount of money.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I think he was wise to avoid Carolina.

If he still plays well under a completely new staff in Stanford his stock will rise.

If if has an off year there's the excuse of the new coaches at Stanford.

I really don't think it was a risky decision.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Are you? Advising someone to give up tens of millions of dollars for... what? Finishing college which he could do after his NFL career (or even during)?

Again, I guess people just don't understand the difference between 10 million, 20 million, 30 million, etc....

A million dollars is a big deal, EVERY million dollars is a big deal.

You know, people go back to school. A lot of people go back for a master's degree in their 30s after they have worked for awhile. And he can certainly go back and get his bachelor's degree.

:rolleyes:

And how would you possible know that? But way to make assumptions.

4. Alex1939

Spoken from someone with an obvious little understanding of money.

From someone like me with a higher education in finance, I understand the difference money can make.

Do you know how much more money you can earn investing if you have 10 million saved versus 20 million saved over a 40 year period?

Do you know the difference it can make for generations of your family? Or for a charity you could be a big contributor to? Or even for an extravagant lifestyle?

Do you even realize the RISK involved with Andrew Luck staying in school?

Somehow I think everyone would feel differently if he gets seriously injured and can never play NFL.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I agree his value right now might never get any higher.

I wouldn't want to play for the Panthers but I guess next year the #1pick will be an equally awful team.

He has walked away from a mind numbing amount of money.
    From a purely financial view it's a dumb move to go back to college.

His choice and I kind of like that the lure of money didn't get to him.

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Alex, since you are clearly so much more financially savy than the reason of us, you probably aren't a dumb guy. You've made up your made and you aren't going to change it.

With that said, what are the chances that he suffers a career ending injury? They've got to be pretty small. I can't remember the last time a quarterback lost their career in their prime. This isn't the 70's or 80's, when an ACL or a broken bone ended a career.

What are the chances that his next year (maybe 2) of college football will be among the most enjoyable of his life?

What are the chances that what he does in college make him a better pro? Remember, he has only played 2 years of college ball. I know the counterpoint would be Matt Leinert, but ultimately his career hasn't panned out because he isn't a hard worker. He made it pretty clear in college that he came back to college because he liked to party and from all the pictues we get, he still enjoys that lifestyle.

7. Alex1939

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not trying to say I'm more financially savvy than all other posters here. I do have an educational background is in finance, I do have experience managing money, and I'm going to defend myself against comments that I'm a "moron with a small mind".

I'll agree the chance is small. It's very unlikely that Andrew Luck would be, for instance, paralyzed and unable to compete in the NFL.

But even a drop in draft stock from the top 10 to the end of the first round is considerable from a monetary perspective.

That's a valid justification, if the extra year can make a difference in getting the next big contract.

I guess I'm just biased because of my background. I just look at the opportunities and possible accomplishments that large amount of money makes possible and just can't rationalize putting that money off.

What if this was unrelated to football. What if a wonder kid computer programmer that was a junior in college was offered a 7 figure guaranteed salary for the next 10 years if he went to work for Microsoft today? Would we praise that kid if he said, "nah I'd rather finish my college and take my chances in the job market next year"?

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think one difference is the people don't dream of being a top programming student. Roads aren't named after you when you get a 4.0 and millions don't cheer you on.....

I don't think you can place a value on being a college football star.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Didn't do Mark Zuckerberg any harm turning down Microsoft.:D

Clearly such opportunities are rare and yes,we would consider it wise to take them.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

some of these posts kinda blow my mind. its ridiculous how much money dictates things these days. greed has f***ed up to many things in this nation

i respect and agree with lucks decision to stay at stanford. there are much more important things in life than money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar