C.J. credits offensive line after 141-yard outing

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Completely missed my point. But okay.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I'll say it again, that's the hardest I've seen CJ run in almost 2 years. Good job by him, he still didn't scare anyone with his burst, but he took what was there and it was impressive.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The fact that you think the CJ criticism is "blind hate" just proves how useless it would be for me to even try to debate you on this.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Idk if you understand how football works typically. But for years and years runningbacks have only been as good as the offensive line. This isn't high school where you can get one super athlete who can have a crappy o line and just juke out the entire defense. It's the NFL and everyone is fast, strong, and aggressive.

This is why it was a dumb decision to pay CJ a kings ransom to get him into camp. No RB is worth that much, no RB ever will be worth that much. We should have invested it in the offensive line and picked up some scrub in the 6th round who would suffice, a la Washington Redskins and Alfred Morris.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

The majority of the hate is blind, especially some that has been from you. You were outrageous this week when coach said that CJ just needs more carries saying how retarded it was to give a guy who is useless the ball! lol

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

In a lot of situations yes a RB can just be inserted any time and usually work. See the Saints, see the Packers, see the Patriots, and probably a dozen other teams. But with the Titans it's always been believed we need a top tier RB to get the job done. I'm not entirely sure why this is but 90% of fans were saying pay the man including myself.

The reason for this may have something to do with his 2008 & 2009 seasons. At that time Chris Johnson literally changed the way the Titans do business, and it was working beautifully, so he was worth a kings ransom. Most people didn't believe you could get that production from just any random RB, that CJ was a special guy, and had to stay our guy.

The problem was/is that you can't get that type of production from the same guy twice. But nobody saw that coming. It's almost like CJ has had two different careers. The one in 2008 & 2009 where he could hit 100MPH and a TD is 4.24 seconds, then the current CJ who only dominates weak defenses. (Not saying Houston's D is weak, just saying in general CJ only runs all over Buccaneer-type defenses.)

Yesterday CJ looked almost like his old self, he's still lacking that insane burst, but maybe it's just not fair to expect that of him anymore. I know I don't expect that of anyone but him and maybe Jamaal Charles.

Point is; I'd still have paid him his money last year after doing what he did in 2008-2009 because that player then was truly one of a kind. There was no way of knowing for sure he'd fall off for a year or two. It was brought up but everyone dismissed it because there had never been a scatback setting record like he did those years.

The way CJ feels about his new deal is he was owed some money, and he's not getting $50M just last year thru 2016, that money is retroactive to him.

7. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

You or no one else on this board knows if CJ still has that burst because he hasn't really had a chance to show it. To me he still looks quick when there is a hole for him to hit which allowed him to rush for big time yards yesterday!

8. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

I wouldn't put too much into what CJ says, he's obviously not very intelligent or should I say "articulate". I don't think he puts too much thought into what he's saying so trying to find an underlying meaning to what he says is about as productive as a dog trying to catch his tail...lol!

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

2009 CJ would have taken those big holes he got, and run the ball into the end zone. We saw him in the open field. He ran hard today. But he does not look fast anymore. Like I said, I have 2 CJ jerseys, he's just not the same player he used to be. I knew it would just be a matter of time until he broke out like last year, but he is not the gamechanger he used to be.. For example, he had 4 TDs in all of 2011, 0 in 2012 so far. A game changer is a threat to take it to the house any play. He isn't that anymore, at least that he's shown since 2010.

I will be very happy to see him return to form. I'd like to be able to wear my 2 CJ jerseys without embarassment.

10. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

I think the fact that he hasn't been able to show his old bursts proves that he doesn't have that type of break away speed anymore. He used to only need a step or two on a defender and he was gone and nobody was catching him. The fact that even with a little distance he cant run away from the defenders shows that his breakaway bursts of speed has diminished greatly. Doesn't mean that if he continues to run like he did yesterday that he can't be a very productive back but we paid him for that big play-making ability so if he doesn't haven't that anymore then we've overpaid for what we've got now.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar