Brees and trade 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by smili, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=16980

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

We are a young team, let's stay young, and let's grow together with Young. Brees is better suited going to a team on the cusp. We are not there.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In the earlier post Jeff made some points:

Assuming Brees is healthy, he certainly brings more to the table than McNair.
    His 89 QB rating compared to 82 is VERY significant IMO. The fact McNair is a short timer makes McNair's value minimal. Sure Brees had Gates as his TE but the Titans TEs were about as productive (1100 yards for Gates, 1070 for Kinney and Troupe combined, add in Scaife's numbers and the Titans TEs were more productive than the SD TEs). Brees WRs are nothing to write home about with McCardell (917 yards) and Parker (725 yards) as his two top WRs.

Yes it is VERY appealing to sign Brees for the reasons Jeff gave. We can use our early draft pick on any player we want. Want to get a guy like LT so Brees can have that kind of player in his backfield. Take your pick of RBs. We could have Williams or White. Even if we don't go that route we could add Brick and fortify the line Brees would have blocking for him.

The reason SD is willing to go with Rivers is simple. They have to decide at some point who they need to move on with and they can't keep having two high priced QBs on their roster taking up CAP space. The injury to Brees helped force their hand but I'm not sure Brees wasn't going to leave anyway. Think of the FAs they can sign with what they save by not having to pay Brees.

You called Rivers and "unproven" product. Remember Rivers has been in the organization for a couple of years so to them he isn't completely unproven. Yet you advocate bringing in a rookie QB for the Titans which is going to have even more question marks than Rivers or Brees.

Certainly we don't consider Brees unless we are fairly sure he is close to 100%. If he is healthy somehow signing him could turn this franchise around overnight IMO.

4. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

We dont need a QB to play this year. I just dont see any situation where the Titans bring in a vet other than as a backup.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Cutting McNair saves 10 million on the CAP. McNair wouldn't be a Titans anymore.

6. LetsGoTitans24

LetsGoTitans24 Camp Fodder

As far as Drew Bree's I'd like to see us make a run at him sign him, release Mcnair and draft D' Ferguson. That would give us a stud at LT to protect Bree's blind side and leave Roo's at RT giving us a solid Tackle duo for what...the next 6-8 years. Then trade volek for a late 2nd or 3rd round pick to whom ever is drinking too much stuff .. but this is just something I'd thought would be a decent scenario considering mcnair's over the hill and sliding into the lake on the other side.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The investment Brees will demand is also much more than it'll take to keep McNair around for another year or two. And I think McNair, in the second year of the Chow offense, will be a more productive QB this season.

They could have traded Rivers if they preferred Brees. Apparently, they don't.

They've seen him on the practice field and in preseason games but Rivers has very little game experience. They know what Brees has and they are letting him walk. As for advocating a rookie for the Titans, I think whoever the Titans draft as a QB at #3 is a much better talent than what Brees will ever be. Just my opinion.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If they really think Rivers is ready why would they trade him? They can save money letting Brees walk. Also, what makes you so sure our #3 pick will be better than Rivers or Brees. Just based on history there is almost a 50% chance the guy we end up with will be a complete bust. Thats why getting a QB like Brees, who isn't a complete bust but a darn good QB is way better than taking a chance on a guy like Young. Add in the fact that we then have our #3 pick to use anyway we like your whole argument goes down the tube.

What would you rather have, Brees and whoever we can draft with the #3 pick or a rookie QB who has an unsure future? The only thing holding up the deal IMO is if Brees is affordable. If we could get Brees, dump McNair (who some think we should pay 10 mil per year to mentor a guy like Young who will not be able to play for 2 years) and still have options with the #3 pick I would do it in a flat second.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it was just a few years ago when we were lumping Brees in with the likes of Kyle Boller as the dung heap of the QB class

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Brees had a breakout in his third season. It seems that the same people who are saying how much they would just LOVE to draft Young and let him sit for two seasons are saying that Brees sucked because he didn't rip up the NFL in his first two seasons. Let's ask the math majors what's wrong with this picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar