Brandon Merriweather Playing Right Now.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titansfan9, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

On ESPN, #19 thats Merriweather. Devin Hester just said he is the hardest hitting safety he's seen...

2. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

No thanks. We already have one player that likes to stomp on people. No need for another.

Plus I think he's behind Nelson, Landry and Griffin.

3. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

personally I think he is better than Nelson...

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Based on....?

Gut

5. Nelson's stock is rising, no doubt it will increase at the workouts, if he comes out, he will probably be picked before the titans #19...

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Where do you think Landry will go. He's my favorite safety.

7. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

I wouldn't mind having any of the top 4 safety's.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I've studied Griffin in 2 games this year (one being the bowl game) and he was not good. In the first game he bit on play-action, took bad angles and within the 10 yardline made a poor run fit so he was unblocked and the RB went in for the score. He also tries to lay the wood too much and misses tackles. In the bowl game he also didn't look good save for one play when the QB was under pressure and tried to lob it to the flat and he made a good play on the ball. Other than that, he got faked out by the RB for a big gain in the open field and we're not talking Barry Sanders either. Griffin has a good reputation, but I don't like what I'm seeing. I wouldn't take him in the first rnd.

I haven't watch my tapes of Landry yet so I can't comment other than my initial impressions of watching the games. He gets around the ball, but isn't really grasping my attention. Maybe that's because LSU has an excellent d all around...I don't know yet. His stats have been declining though...

Merriweather did not impress me. He waits for others to do the job and shows up late. He loafs too much and for me...that's not what you want in a starting FS. And add in his baggage and you have a 2nd rnd pick (at best) IMO. No way would I take him in rnd 1.

Nelson has been the most impressive in both just watching the game (he makes BIG plays) and in studying the tape. He flies to the ball, makes his presense FELT, and knows how to cover, when to go for the pick and when to lay the wood. He also seems to enjoy intimidating others and that will only help us (assuming he's not getting personal foul calls). Like Griffin, he goes for the knockout a lot. The difference so far is...I haven't seen Nelson miss.

I'd expect both Landry and Nelson (assuming he comes out) to go in rnd 1. Question is, do they both go ahead of our pick?

Gut

9. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

If Michael Griffin misses so many tackles, please tell me why he has over two times as many as Nelson. Griffin makes big plays as well with 4 forced fumbles and 4 INT's. He's also a special teams demon with a record 8 blocked punts and supernatural kick coverage.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sure...

Griffin basically moves around a lot and spends a decent amount of time close to the LOS.

Nelson is pretty much lined up in deep CF so he doesn't see a lot of running plays unless they are to the wide side of the field...especially with Florida's speed. Nelson also blocks punts.

But no one is drafting a player in the first rnd because you blocked some punts in college and are a good gunner (which Griffin is). With Hope playing a more traditional SS role in our D and LT playing a lot of deep half or CF down the middle, Nelson seems like a better fit (and I haven't seen a runner juke him out of his shorts in the open field). To be fair, as I mentioned, he probably has a lot fewer attempts....but that's where we are. And I like Texas!

BTW, what do you think of Rouse of VT?

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar