Bowen is officially DC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Chronos, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

It does beg the question, when your defense is good, is it more the coaching or you have really good talent? Obviously it has to be some of both, but in our situation, I think we can put a lot of the blame on the lack of talent at key spots. Butler was all we had, that was worth a damn, at CB until King came in half way through the season. Our Defensive Line was an abomination overall. You got some plays here and there, between games. Zero consistency at anything other than never getting to the QB and the secondary giving up a large number of 3rd downs.

On the coaching side, I'm not sure if it's how they coach but more of their decision making in games. CB's playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 2 for instance. And I know Vrabes likes to really coach defense, but he never played CB, so his ability to coach that position is limited.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

The corner backs playing off ten yards on third and 2, really got me. The only thing our defense did well last year was short yardage run plays.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I’m not sure why anyone would feel widespread player regression isn’t tied to coaching. If numerous players who were in your top echelon of talent all become subpar with a coaching change, then where’s the mystery? Sherlock? Nancy Drew? Scoob? Somebody?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 6
  4. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

Who are our numerous top echelon talented defenders?

How do you not understand that defenses play as a unit and when key pieces are missing the entire defense suffers?

If your agenda is blaming coaching, nothing any Sherlock or Nancy Drew can prove to you is going to matter,

5. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

You are just being silly now. The players who were our top guys who slipped badly include Evans, Landry, Byard... of course I understand that team ball - played it and coached it. It’s just nonsense to say that previously productive players who suddenly weren’t with a coaching change are the main issue. The secondary was missing Jackson, we traded the oft injured and aging Casey, there wasn’t wholesale missing talent. An in-team equivalent is our ability to manage the OL when we lost our LT. Similar situation, but the coach coached up. It’s what you do in the NFL. As an aside, you really need to work on that judgmental aspect to your posts. It’s unbecoming of a rational, non-emotional fan.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Shane Bowen was the biggest issue this season. He’s not even a good position coach. He didn’t develop players and his defense was horrible all season. Our best defensive game was when we he was out with Covid against Buffalo. That alone should show you he is the issue. So of course Vravel decides to promote him.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Tricky

Tricky Starter

We also drafted a CB in the 2nd round that had a 1st round grade. I dont think it wouldve mattered much if we had "better" CBs back there with the way Bowen/Vrabel were running the D.
    Pass rush wouldve helped and Clowney and Vic were big misses. But no way is promoting Bowen justifiable after what we just saw.
    I'm so bummed that they are going to waste our 3 year window with RT, Henry, and AJB.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  8. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

From Wyatt's mailbag:

I understand the scrutiny surrounding the elevation of Bowen to defensive coordinator based on how last season went. The defense was underwhelming, I know. But keep in mind he was calling a defense for the first time following an offseason with no OTAs, minicamps, and with limited contact with players. The team dealt with a lot of injuries on defense. Yes, the pass rush was non-existent, but let's keep it real here – Khalil Mack and Von Miller weren't lined up in two-tone blue rushing the QB. A lot of Sundays the Titans had practice squad call-ups out there rushing alongside Harold Landry, who was playing virtually every snap. I'm not going to sit here and say Shane Bowen is the next Dick LeBeau or Bill Belichick as a defensive coordinator. He's going to have to prove himself. And again, if Vrabel and Robinson believe in him, that says a lot in my mind. Plus, Vrabel wants someone to run his defense. Bringing someone in from the outside wouldn't have allowed him to do that the way he wants to.

Weekend Mailbag: Jim Wyatt Answers Questions From Titans Fan

That last quote leads me to believe Vrabel may still be very involved with the defense....

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Uhhh Bowen was there for the Buffalo game. He missed the Vikings game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Just sign JJ Watt after the Texans cut him and let him coach the D.
    We HAVE to add some veteran leadership to this team anyway ;)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar