Boston vs The Sex Pistols

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, May 5, 2010.

?

Boston vs The Sex Pistols

Poll closed May 7, 2010.
  1. Boston

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Sex Pistols

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm well aware of Punk's history - through and through.. Though I would disagree about the fashion statement, or fashion alone anyway. The Pistols were a revolution. Viv Westood and Malcolm Mclaren were the ones behind the fashion anyway..

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

No way, man. At 20 years old, I'm the one who's too young, but I still vote on all of these polls.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I said "feel"... not "am"... I'm just saying that the Sex Pistols were breaking up as I was being born. I mean, growing up in the eighties and learning classic rock as the grunge was coming in doesn't lend me or you the proper frame of reference to really understand what the music meant to the time. All we have to go on is what it sounds like. If we can't remember it new we can't have any idea of the douchebaggery surrounding the scene. All we have to go by are the influences. Obviously the Sex Pistols had a greater impact but Boston is much easier listening. Thing is if I had any memory of Boston being new I'd probably hate it because it would probably remind me of guys that listened to Ricky Martin ten years ago.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Boston was for folks with mood rings and breath spray. Nostalgic for me to hear "more than a feeling" but nothing like the snarling rock-n-roll spirit I still get when I hear God Save the Queen, EMI or Substitute. Hell- even their cover of Road-Runner is cool.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Boston:
    [​IMG]

Pistols:
    [​IMG]

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p25SdQEnhHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p25SdQEnhHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I was late HS, just starting college in L.A. at the time.....trust me, It wasn't the music or even much of a revolution at the time, that all came a few years later after they broke up......when the next wave came. In the mid/late-70's, Sex Pistols was just about the fashion. Led Zep, Sabbath, Kiss, etc dominated rock.

I guess I should end by saying I am old enough to remember Punk's beginings and the cultural impact... the UK stuff sucked then and still sucks today.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That makes two of us then. I started playing in the late 70s and have been mixed up in the various national Punk scenes touring and being right in the middle of it ever since. The UK thing and the LA scene were two entirely different things - at two different times. God Save The Queen, a song that was banned by the BBC at the time became a #1 single in the UK. They wouldn't even list the song title on the charts. Hardly just fashion.
    And I'll take my Pistols and Clash any day over weak sauce like Fuel..

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

musically I like Boston way more, but like BR said earlier - If I never hear another Boston track I will be ok with that. If I never hear another SP track then nothing changes at all for me - lol

FWIW I liked the more polished British bands of the early 80s just fine, could not stand the SP though. Probably dislike their crap because of the whole load of junk that came with with their crappy music. But then again everyone has an opinion....

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I agree, but The Dead Kennedys has to be the best band name ever. It's relevant in every decade....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar