Bobby Johnson Retires

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by VolnTitan, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

It was his time to go in the since that he knew that he wasn't 100% committed to football. As bleak as Vandy's season would have looked with a younger Bobby Johnson I don't want to imagine how next year would have turned out without a coach on top of his game. He is also getting older and I think it's time for a younger face to step in. Bobby has been a bit too conservative, especially on offense and I think if you want to win at Vandy you have to be a bit more creative. The guy left the program in better shape than in which he found it and hopefully all the improvements Coach Johnson made will benefit his successor.

2. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

Don't read the free boards, those fans are all retarded.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

and the fans are this board aren't :wink2:

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Talked to some close to the school and program, including a biggggg contributor. Johnson was forced out.

Amazing. Not sure who Vandy thinks they are.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Sorry to hear that but not shocked. I hope the media follows through and finds the facts.

6. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

I probably know who you're talking about and it would make sense considering I know some things that I'm not supposed to know since I was at 104.5 right after George Plaster got tipped off. But I don't think I buy it considering vice chancellor David Williams offered Coach Johnson more money to stay.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vandy is one of the very few places a coach can win just 30% of his games and be considered good. What does that say about Vandy?

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vanderbilt/coaching_records.php

Johnson's record at Vandy was typical for most modern era coaches. About average. Slightly better than the guy he replaced Widenhoffer and certainly better than the horrible Watson Brown. But Gary Dinardo had a better record and so did George MacIntyre. Steve Sloan was above 500 but only coaches 2 years.

Johnson was lucky to coach that long since he had just 2 wins in each of his first 3 seasons at Vandy. Had they fired him after those 3 years his career winning % would have been 17%!

Stop pretending like it matters. Unless Vandy starts changing it's policies and committing more money to the program they will always be a 2nd tier program.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Dude i'm not trying to be hateful or anything but you are one of a many posters here that will say things without doing the research first. It took a few minutes but i found a college football database that can very quickly show you how Johnson compared as a coach to others.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vanderbilt/coaching_records.php

Several modern era coaches at Vandy have higher winning percentages.

Vandy won just 2 games last year. Nothing special about him.

9. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Vandy doesn't care about football. Period. Johnson won some big games, was recruiting well (for Vandy), graduating his players and putting players in the NFL. And somehow Vandy thinks they can do better. No one is leading over there. The fact that the chancellor is claiming they made a bigger offer goes to show how screwed up they are over there. "Here is more money to make you happy until we fire you after this season".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar