Board controversy.................

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bongo59, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

It's doubtful you know the same things Fish and Chow know, about how fast Vince was picking up the offense and doing his progressions. The Dallas game was realistically too early, but he had to start sometime to appease the team.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, considered seperatly I'd like to keep Fisher. I believe he's one of the best in the game at motivating players to play, even if their season is basically over.

However I don't like the fact that he won't accept that Schwartz either needs to go or change his system. And the fact that he isn't letting younger guys play more just isn't sound coaching in my opinion. It may well be true that the veterans outperform the young guys on the practice field, but you also have to remember that there really is no better training than playing against real opposition.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Everyone saw Vince as very raw and unlikely to be productive in his first year. The plan was to sit him.

No one could see these last 4 weeks coming.

4. DJB

DJB Starter

I would keep Fisher. Lets say Fisher left after this season who is better and available than Jeff Fisher? I wouldn't fire a the guy because he started a rookie 5 games later (possibly...no way to prove it) than he should have. I think Fisher is one of the top coaches in the NFL

5. AnimatorMike

AnimatorMike Camp Fodder

At that point Bud had stepped in and let Mac go and had picked the new QB in the draft, both probably going against the advice of Fisher. I'm not sure how much I blame Fisher specifically for panicing and grabing KFC, but it was obvious that nobody in the organization was on the same page or heading in the same direction. Thank god Vince was closer to ready than anybody had expected or I think the whole organization would have gone up in smoke. Funny thing that nobody seems to want to say outloud is that in hindsight Bud seems to be making one good, if seemingly insane at the time, decision after another.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

It's hard to blame Fisher for being overly cautious with the team's most important pick since McNair. There's no question that the McNair and Volek situations, though inevitable, were handled in the worst manner possible...but it's unclear exactly what role Fisher played in those decisions. (I don't know about the Volek deal, but I very seriously doubt Fisher approved of how the McNair deal went down. And of course, the whole Volek/Collins deal turned into one of the biggest clusterf**ks in the history of the organization....it was a clear indication of management in complete and utter disarray.)

I've got to hand it to Fisher for the team's recent success...considering where this team was after the Dallas game, the rebound has been nothing short of miraculous. With the way he's kept them focused and driven after the low points early in the season....I've always liked Fish, but I never would have believed he could have accomplished this. VY has obviously played a huge role in the turnaround, as well, but Fisher deserves a ton of credit, here....he not only kept things from spiralling out of control, but he actually got the team to believe in themselves when just about everybody else had written them off. I do disagree with certain aspects of Fisher's philosophy (first and foremost, his refusal to let younger players earn starting jobs over underperforming veterans) but with what Fisher has done in the last couple months.....quite simply, I'm not sure there's another coach in the entire league that could have pulled it off.

For Chow's part, I've been very impressed with how Norm has adapted his own philosophy to suit VY's strengths. Chow has never been a proponent of the shotgun formation, but he had the sense to realize that the shotgun is where VY is at his best. Instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (as many coaches would have done), Chow swallowed his pride and put VY in a position to utilize his considerable gifts....which, of course, worked to the benefit of the entire team.

I still disagree with Norm's playcalling on occasion, but I've been very pleased with Norm's newfound dedication to the running game. When trailing by two or three scores, conventional wisdom dictates that you must start throwing the ball in order to catch up. Chow disregarded conventional wisdom and kept the ball on the ground, thus killing the opponent's momentum and allowing the Titans to play the game on their own terms. Lest we forget, the Titans trailed the Redskins 14-3, the Colts 14-0, and the Giants 21-0. Most teams would have started throwing the ball all over the place, turning the game into a track meet. Chow chose to slow things down, chewing the clock, and keeping the ball away from the opposing offense....of course, the Titans came back to win each of these games. I cannot overstate the importance of Chow's playcalling in those circumstances, or how much of an impact they had on the game. Most teams wouldn't have had the balls to make such a decision....Chow deserves an enormous amount of credit for going against conventional wisdom, putting his own neck on the line, and thus establishing a sense of identity for the offense.

It's also occurred to me that much of VY's success as a runner might be the direct result of Chow's influence. Not that Chow has directly influenced Vince as a runner, but consider the number of times Vince has taken off and had a wide open area in front of him; it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is by design, with Chow arranging the pass routes to draw defenders away from a certain area, creating an escape route for Vince to not only avoid getting sacked, but to pick up the first down.

7. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Well, I consider KFC a good signing. A little too expensive maybe. He should never had been on the field, though. Volek is a Tedford-child and has close to no experience. He brings nothing to the table..
    KFC has a lot of experience in staying in the pocket. I'm certain he has thought "oh boy, this is gonna hurt, I wish I could run away" a million times, when defenders has rushed through his o-line and sacked him 2 seconds later. Vince can run and I think KFC can help him learn when it's time to go.

8. moose4now

moose4now Starter

And, you think right. :thumb:

9. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I still stand by my original opinions........
    -Not for 1 second have I wanted to get rid of Fisher.
    -Volek probably did need to go because none of us were on the inside (or close enough on the inside) to know the mess going on.... but seeing how Chris Brown has handled it shows how it could/should have been.
    -We needed to bring in an experienced QB, and Collins may have been fine... had it been sooner.
    -I believe Collins was brought in late because Fisher wanted him for a long time, but Floyd did not. Hence, the week Underwood took over - in comes Collins.
    -I don't claim to know enough about schemes, etc to join "fire schwartz". I just know that he can't be the moron some like to say he is.
    -I understand the points about the younger guys playing instead of Hill or Thompson.... but again, we don't know how they do in practice or meetings as far as picking things up or understanding.
    -I don't know that our record would be any better if VY started any earlier. I doubt it.
    -I don't think anyone here makes $5mil or $100 grand a year coaching football. So, I don't know that we are qualified to say who needs to stay or go..... but it's all opinions. That is what we are here for.
    -After the job Fisher has done this year....MY OPINION is...why would you still want him gone.

But it's all just opinions.

10. Code

Code Starter

Bongo ... you are in the minority because you are clearly wrong ... and as you know, I was one who wanted VY to start from game 1 ... but to your other points ... Tulloch continually steps in to fill the wrong gap, gets engulfed by blockers, and got posterized on at least one occassion last week by back running right over him because of his size ... Finnegan is clearly a good ballplayer, but then, you have also been supportive of Hill, who I too like ... so that suggests that Finnegan start on outside in place of Jones, who you don't like ... and I don't think anyone here would agree with you on that either ... now too the larger picture ... the locker room which you said was fractured is clearly not ... the discipline which you said was not practiced was clearly in evidence with one game suspensions for Adam, Rob, the AH mess, etc ... the difficult running back situation has been handled as best as possible ... the offensive line has come together with the belated insertion of Stewart at OT and Bell at OG ... the team has successfully developed an effective passing game despite personnel limitations ... in short, Fisher is rightfully in line for Coach of the Year consideration ... and as painful as it is for you to acknowledge it ... deserves a 5 year extension ... respectfully ... code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar