Blount will takes Ringers #2 spot.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob45x32

bob45x32 Starter

I remember reading one of the reviews on an OTA one day which said he was catching the ball really well coming out of the backfield. but that was without pads and no contact type

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

does Ringer have the power to be a goal line back? can he run guys over to get across the line?

3. Preditan

Preditan --- --- --- --- Staff

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Both Blount and Ringer were real good college backs and both have a legit chance of being solid #2 or even #1 (with time) backs in the NFL. We can watch highlight videos of Ringer that show his skills with Michigan State but right now none of that means anything right now.

Blount was a great value getting him without even using a draft pick. Ringer was a great value where we drafted him as well so instead of arguing which one of these young RBs is better than the other we should simply be happy we have some talent behind CJ. What that tells me is Cj can get some rest and even in the event CJ were to go down we wouldn't have the situation like we did against Baltimore where our whole offense came to a grinding halt.

The reality is right now neither of these guys have proven anything in the NFL. It is especially pre-mature to crown Blount as anything right now because at the least Ringer having been in the system a year and should be better prepared in the pass protection schemes. That is critical to getting playing time.

In short be glad we have both of these guys and both could contribute to winning football games. Let us have this discussion after the pre-season when we actually get to see both players get significant carries against real competition. Neither, including Ringer have had enough carries to make a rationale judgment so arguing at this point is ridiculous.

Right now Ringer is absolutely the #2 back and barring a super pre-season by Blount or a ridiculously poor one by Ringer, including injury, Ringer is cemented as the #2 back. Blount's primary purpose is making the team and showing he can contribute on STs as he learns the system and stays out of trouble.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

soxcat is absolutely right in his analysis, IMO. Yes, Blount is more of a change than Ringer, but right now Ringer is the better fit if CJ goes down or just needs a break. Ringer has great vision and tends to get the yards he can. He's shiftier than Blount, but not overly fast. Still, I think he shows better burst. The main thing though is that he knows the scheme better, including blocking. That's the critical thing for being an every down back. There's no way Blount is ahead of Ringer in that area, so for the foreseeable future, Ringer is the #2.

Like soxcat, I don't think we can judge either as a runner yet, because of limited evidence. However, from what we've seen of Ringer against NFL players, he's pretty good. He makes good decisions and cuts. I think some of you are underrating his potential.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

well we will see both of them next Saturday running in pads and getting hit. we will see who does the most with their playing time.

7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Exactly, there won't be a #2 back. it will be blount for short yards while ringer will spell CJ.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. eds clothing

eds clothing Camp Fodder

I like Ringer but I like Blount more I seen him carry 4 guys in training camp he is a bruiser. The only way I don't see him not getting on the field is because of learning pass protection. He has potential be a real good back.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I hate to say it, but Ringer is nothing better than Jarrett Payton.

No way he's holding that spot. He's an average RB. Not a legit carry-splitting #2. Especially when he doesn't offer anything to really balance our run attack- other than being slower than CJ.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Jarrett Payton? Really?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar