Bills Damar Hamlin Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Jan 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Damar Hamlin.

honestly don’t know much about him but the tackle didn’t seem that serious. Just crazy timing unless there’s more that hasn’t been disclosed on why such a young guy, athlete, would have this issue.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. The Hammer

Not common but not unheard of either. There is a known cardiac condition that has been known to impact young athletes.

Commotio Cordis | Korey Stringer Institute

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/nfl-shaken-by-damar-hamlin-collapse/

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. The Hammer

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Actually, that is the theory here. If you look at the replay of the tackle, Tee Higgens' helmet hits Hamlin squarely in the chest at full speed. I think that this has happened in baseball (not MLB) in the past, and I have seen references to a hockey player going into cardiac arrest after getting hit in the chest with a puck back in 1998.

This was very scary though. He makes the tackle, actually gets on his feet, then collapses. Horrific...

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. CheeseheadTitan

7. The Hammer

LOL I know

If you had only given me a few more minutes :)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I watched a video on Commotio Cordis. The doctor said the impact had to happen right at the very moment to disrupt the heart. Milliseconds before or after and he's fine.

Pretty crazy stuff. But in this instance it looks like that's what happened. The hit to the chest disrupted his heart, he had time to stand up before his body stopped functioning and he passed out (or died). The way he slammed his head wasn't pretty either.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. CheeseheadTitan

At this point my biggest concern is that he is still intubated (on a ventilator). Last night the medics were able to restart his heart, but he was not able to breathe on his own (hence the ventilator). He is in a medically induced coma to allow for recovery, and hopefully the breathing come back. However, when the heart stops the brain is deprived of Oxygen, so damage fro that (if any) is an unknown until he wakes up here.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

The latest update I read was that he needs 50% oxygen from ventilation, down from 100%. That update was around 30 minutes ago.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar