Big market vs small market..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Let's try this again because the last discussion went to hell.

A poster tried using flawed data and a flawed premise to argue that big market teams like the jets or the raiders can afford high priced players and we can't.

That same poster in response to my factual post used baseball as an example of proof of his thesis.

1. Baseball does not have revenue sharing. A team like the yankees can get a local tv contract worth 3X that of an average team. Not the case in the nfl where all tv deals are shared equally among ALL 43 teams.

2 Baseball does not have a salary cap so those wealthier teams can spend more for the better players.

Revenue sharing and salary cap means that all nfl teams basically operate on a fair playing field. No team in the nfl should be unable to spend up to the cap limit.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Big market vs small market.

Fact, there is no correlation at all between market size and success on the field. In fact actual market size based on perceptions or population don't always indicate how financially successful or financially large a team is.

The jets are 21st in size and have to share their home field.

The raiders are 30th.

The titans are the 14th largest franchise in terms of revenues and franchise value. That is not small! 14th out of 32 teams is not small!

Again the big market small market concept is BS!

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Your right, its not really big vs small market sizes but rather staduim deals. The main reason Bud left houston was the lousy staduim deal that he had with the astrodome, few luxury boxes ect, with the new staduim in Nashville he got the new revenue streams. It brought the team's value way up after the move. The continuation of the revenue sharing system is of supreme importance for the future of the leauge unless the NFL wants to follow baseball down the path of a few mega wealthy teams buying championships and then a few teams that would have little chance of keeping their own stars. I am no longer a baseball fan for this reason, I grew up a KC Royals fan but that team is little more than a feeder team for the rest of the leauge now. Wise up NFL, don't screw this up.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/01/sports-football-gambling-cz_05nfland.html

Ranking of nfl franchises based on value. Based on 2005 numbers.

How many of you consider carolina to be a big market team? They are 8th!

The titans are 14th in franchise value. 14th in revenues and 16th in pre tax profits.

The 2 new york franchises are 17th and 21st respectively. The colys are near the back of the pack.

How about little green bay with the 13th most valuable franchise?

And what about LA and their franchise? They of course have none.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

BTW, MLB opens today. :drool:

I've really tried to be a fan of baseball again. I have. I'll occasionally watch a few innings of a Braves game. But it's not close to the game I remember before roids and the strike season and likely never will be.

If there ever was a guiding light of what NOT to do in professional sports, it's MLB.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

What is the difference about MLB before and after those events TJ?

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I began losing interested when the Yankees were spending a ton to stack their teams in the 80's. It got to where fans knew only a handful of teams had a shot to win the World Series at the beginning of the season. That was when a salary cap and revenue sharing should have been established. But greed prevailed for both big market ownership and the players who were making a ton with record contracts.

For me, personally, it was the 1994 strike which was the final straw and I place blame on both sides for killing the game. The owners needed a salary cap but the players didn't trust ownership. Can you imagine the NFL missing an entire season including the Super Bowl?

Once that was settled, there were a number of former fans who were not going to go back to games. Enter steriods and the McGuire/Sosa single-season HR streak which somewhat "revived" the game. Ownership knew players were juicing but bodies were returning to the stadiums so they turned a blind eye.

So, for me, everything from the strike season to a couple of season's ago is tainted as it is for many who grew up as fans of MLB in the 70's or before.

:tj:

8. This chart isn't about big market and small market at all. It's about revenues, incomes, and profits. And the stadium deals are the primary factor.

The size of the markets is blunted for teams by the league-wide TV contract being shared equally. Market size only makes a big difference in extreme cases.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's also how I look at it.

The way the NFL works, and the profitability of teams is an entirely different thing from the size of a market.

I mean, New York is a big market, Nashville is a small market. Are you arguing against that RT?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller that's what i have been saying for years here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar