Between the Lines: New Orlean Saints at Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With the Titans' first preseason game over with, here are some notes to supplement what your eyes saw on the field.

According to Football Outsider's definition of success rate for running backs, Chris Brown had four successful runs out of his nine carries giving him a success rate of 44.4%, which is just below what the league average was last year. However, he was not gaining many yards past the minimum needed for a successful run. Take away his long run of 21 yards and Brown only averaged 1.5 yards more than needed to meet the criteria. He was giving enough, but not much more than that.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001629.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I'd like to see how Football Outsider's formula rated Reggie Bush and Travis Henry...

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'd like to see an Outside the Lines post. We could make a pretty good show on ESPN with just this game.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

excellent read

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Travis Henry had an excellent game. He kept the ball moving, he ran straight up the middle, wasn't afraid to go after the hard yards. There was no fancy footwork and bouncing around for Henry. He capped off the drive with a touchdown.

6. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

I think that the national media...who apparently didn't watch the game...have made way too much out of how well Bush did...other that that one broken play that he ran for 44 yards, and one catch that was capped off by getting his bell rung by pacman...he was pretty much shut down by our defense...

Overall, I though our first team offense played better than N.O.

I'll also add it's the first game, Sure there needs to be improvement...everybody is a little rusty...Still I liked what I saw from our first teams.

7. bored1

bored1 The Colt killer

ya i thought the first team did a swell job. esp. after bush broke of that 44 yrdr they held em and didnt let them score! i thought that was a big plus. there were some good hussling out there. imo

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What seems a little confusing in the read. For example Brown ran for 4 yards on the first play, there then was a 5 yard penalty. Brown converts the first down with a 2 yard run (two successfull plays IMO). Brown then carries twice for 5 yards leaving a reasonable 3rd and 5. On the next set of plays Brown carries twice for 6 yards leaving another 3rd and 4 situation. Not terrible. Volek converts the first down with a 9 yard pass and then throws again for 11 yards. Brown's next two carries are for 7 and 21 yards.
    Based on their formulas Brown wasn't that good but IMO anytime you can get to 3rd and 5 or less, convert a short yardage 1st down and break off runs of 7 and 21 yards you have reasonably successfull. Any RB more successfull would be unstoppable. Even the best RBs have their share of 2 and 3 yard gains.

9. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I agree with you, Sox. Frankly, the criteria for successful aren't good enough. Henry had several successful runs too, mainly because he kept the ball moving when we needed it.

But both backs had too few carries to make any good assessment, especially percentage based.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar