Best way to save money on electronics

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Starkiller, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buy accessories online. Compare the price of the cables you buy at retail stores versus the price of buying them new on ebay, Amazon, etc. A $20 USB cable can be had for less than half that online (even after shipping). A $100 HDMI cable (for HDTVs) can be had for under $15 after shipping. Or compare blank CD or DVD discs. Ar check the prices of any other accessory.

Things like printers, computers, DVD players, etc usually have very little retail markup. Accessories, on the other hand, have huge markups.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

For me it's just buy things from the USA, even with shipping costs it is still cheaper then getting it down here (and usually before they are released down here).

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I was amazed to find out how tiny the markup is on a Mac. Jeez, why bother selling them?

Yes, the peripherals are where the money is. Gillette doesn't make jack selling shavers....but they make a fortune selling blades.

However, as a muso, it's certainly worth the extra money to go to a music store and buy strings and picks...I'd like for that store to still be open when I want to shop for an instrument.

There are a few big names living here on this island (hopefully I can get a gig with Mick Fleetwood since John McVie never stays for long). George benson frequents the local store, and he's their least favorite customer....goes in and plays with all the guitars, then goes home and orders them online. :rolleyes: Jeez, you've got the money, so pony up once in a while, G!

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Yup. HP will basically give you a printer for nothing knowing that you're in for $100 every time you change ink in the thing over the next few years.

5. That's fair. If there's a mom and pop store you want to support, go ahead. But when it comes to the corporate likes of Best Buy, CompUSA, or Office Depot, I say screw 'em...

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I got my laptop at Best Buy...

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Really? Our prices here are very comparable with the US even before shipping and taxes.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Oh, well that's different...I have to be some kind of desperate to want to enter one of those.

One could easily say the same for an Apple Store, sadly...they're pretty dispicable also. What they do is let Mom&Pop store enter and prime the market (MacAuthority, for example), and then drop an Apple Store in to run them out of business.
    Business has jumped up since Brian took over as manager for the local Mac dealer on Maui...I wonder when an AS is gonna show up?

9. Well, I don't blame Apple. They needed a good national retail option. But I agree that it's a shame for all the good local Apple retailers who are getting killed. They didn't start their own retail stores to kill off their best supporters, but that's how it will work out in the end. It has worked very well for Apple, which I do like.

But I wouldn't pay for accessories at an Apple Store, either...

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It really depends on what it is.

I mean you look at the price of a PS3 (and 360) here and there and it would be cheaper to just buy it over there (as with the games).

DVD players are real cheap here now. So there wouldn't be any difference.

I got my laptop for $1200AU over there when I am pretty certain it would be worth at least $2000AU down here if they sold this particular model.

btw are you on Euros as currency?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar