Best pick for Titans Rd. 1?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ftballkicker21, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Bo Jackson - end of discussion

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Darrell Green was the fastest ever. Drop that Texas bias already, please.
    There are exceptions. But for every 1 guy you can think of that ran track speeds and was a success, I can name 30 that ran track speed and did little to nothing in the nfl.
    Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Ladanian Tomlinson, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, etc etc etc.
    I like speed too, don't get me wrong. I was always the fast guy on the teams I played on anyway - but maybe that's why I understand it takes a lot more than a good 40.

3. maximus

maximus Starter

Neither of those three.
    We need to go DB, DL, or WR in the first. Manningham and Sweed are worth the first round pick.

I'm for Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Neither of those three.
    We need to go DB, DL, or WR in the first. Manningham and Sweed are worth the first round pick.

I'm for Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

5. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Desean Jackson all the way. The Titans game is a game of field position and you all saw how our offense struggled last year with a poor return game. Pacman is ghost. Desean is a speed WR to complement our group of big guys and is the most explosive return man on the board. I don't wanna hear any Tedd Ginn comparison crap either, this guy can catch the ball.

6. wg53

wg53 Starter

IF those were the choices I would either draft Mayo or trade down.

None of those WRs are truly worthy of a first round pick.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Pot to kettle

You have elevated yourself to resident Michigan leg humper.

I have maintained from the beginning that the Titans need speed in the skill positions. Before the combine I had no interest in Sweed mostly because he didn't have the speed we needed. He displayed the speed in the combine and now with his size he would be perfect for our offense.

The only I have jocked Sweed has been to dispel all the stupid rumors about him being spread by guys who know nothing about him.

1. Injury prone - No, in 4 years he had one injury
    2. Too Slow - See Combine and Pro day results
    3. Did nothing in college - He was the receiver that every DC scheemed to stop and he did an amazing job of stepping up in big games. See Ohio State 2k5, Oklahoma 2k6 USC for the MNC.

8. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

if the 40 doesn't mean anything, why do they do it?? why do the also do bench press, vertical jump cone drills interviews?? It's to get an idea of how a player might actually play in the league. You can watch good college receivers catch balls against bad college corners all day long, but at the end of the day it's a combination of everything that makes a player a good pick. It doesn't make him a good player, it makes him a good pick. Understand the difference. If a receiver runs a 4.7 40 somehow i don't think he's gonna get PICKED too high. Thats not to say he may not be a great receiver. JERRY RICE.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

because scouts like quantifiable evidence as to why one player is better than the other, but when it all comes down to do it, you rarely will find a player bench pressing 225 pounds at the 50 yard line or running in between cones.

a little tid-bit from matt mosley

"The scout I talked to clocked him(dan connor) at a 4.63 in the 40-yard dash, and a 6.76 in the three-cone drill. Titans scout C.O. Brocato, who invented the three-cone, informs me that 6.76 is a superb number for a linebacker. Of course, cynics (Football Outsiders) will tell you that the three-cone drill has no correlation to success in the NFL. That may be true, but the fact that Dante Hall owns the best three-cone time ever recorded has to mean something."

then why do they do it?

why is 225 pounds the official weight of the bench?

why 40 yards, why not 50?

chances are no one knows the answers to the those questions, not even the scouts.

i remember watching one of the combine specials last year and they were talking to some coaches asking them "why 40 yards?" most of the answers were something like "uhh, well, i don't know....i guess because that's how long it takes to get maximum speed."

10. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

That's my point exactly. It creates a quantifiable way to classify players, along with their game tapes to create an impression of a players worth in the draft. BTW scouts also look at the 20 split a player does. There's no way to say from numbers, interviews, game tapes that a player will or won't be successful, but the combination of those creates a value associated with a player. If Limas Sweed seems to have the better combination of all those criteria than he is a better PICK than Manningham. That's not to say who is or is going to be a better PLAYER, because neither of them have played in the nfl yet and we'll find that out next year. Either way you have to pick someone, as long is it's the best player who cares, it's a crap shoot as to who will be successful or not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar