Best Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan769, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

I was looking through the standings and i noticed that the only teams that have allowed fewer points then the titans were teams that didnt play their week 2 games yet, which means the titans have allowed the fewest points after two games in the NFL this year. Obviously before the season we were rated in the top 5 for defense, but due to Cortland Finnegans huge step up so far and the development of Griffin our secondary is amazing and everyone knows we have the best from 7 in the game. Is it safe to say that the titans have the best defense in the game. Minnesota, Seattle, Indy, Jacksonville they have all been disappointments. If that is the case then remember what they say, offense wins games...defense wins championships. This is our year boys.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Gotta shut down a few offensive powerhouses first then we can look at that.
    It's just nice to be 2-0!

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I don't know if we have the best. We have a top 5 though, I wouldn't dispute that, because our defense appears better than last years (which was superb). Like Creep says, we have to really show up against some better offenses.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I just want to praise how amazing our defense has looked.

I was one, that mainly because of my lack of faith in Schwartz, thought the defense would regress and not be as good as last season.

So far, this defense looks to be the best I've ever seen in Titans blue. Simply outstanding. Should be another easy one against the Texans next week.

And Jason Jones, who I knew little of, looks like a very solid draft selection. I don't think our D-line takes the nose dive it did without AH this season.

If this defense can continue this level of play, Superbowl dreams are realistic.

(Oh, Antwaan Odom did have a nice hit against KFC I thought.)

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

By the end of the year we will be the best.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

No way that we have the best front 7 in the league, though. Minnesota is far and away the winner there.

7. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

watch out Houston!

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Matt Schaub might have an opinion after next Sunday.

Albert Smash!

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Obviously we haven't really been tested yet - but Jags and Cincy aren't scrub offensive teams. They've not played to their potential yet, though. But if you look at the reasons why our D has shut them down, it's really encouraging. It's not like the secondary hasn't been tested - we've just seen impressive coverage and great athleticism. The rotation on the D line has looked really nice - in today's game you have to be able to get pressure from the inside and we appear to have 3 DTs that can do that, plus some decent backups to keep them fresh. On top of that the play we're getting at OLB has been as good as we've seen in a while. Thorton has really played great, especially.

So overall, with just a few exceptions, we've seen a darn smart defense. Dominant and aggressive without over-pursuing and without losing steam in the 4th Q. The secondary of the Titans has been the weak link for a long time - and has quietly turned into a great unit. I gave props to Harper in another thread - he's improved in man coverage. Griffin and Hope are as good a safety tandem as I've seen in a long while. I'd feel better with more depth back there, but this is a fun group to watch that has the talent to take us well into the playoffs.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I dont see Cortland and Griffin shutting down players Reggie Wayne and Marvin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar