Bench Collins NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Eddy...

I believe it was you who I was having a pre-season argument with about VY. You argued he couldn't do this...I showed he can. You argued he couldn't do that...I proved he can. You said he could NEVER be as good as McNair...I think he can be. And then it came down to he's not mature (he quit on the team) and he turns the ball over too much. I pointed out that that is the natural progression for a young QB. Even McNair his...what...4th season had more turnovers than TD's. Didn't stop him from becoming an MVP, did it? Manning about set the record for INT's in a season his rookie year...should they have drafted another QB the next year because he stunk? Not even close. They understood the progression of a young QB. I brought up Cutler who has great stats and you said it didn't matter because he didn't have wins. Well, Young has shown you everything you could ask of a young QB starting early in his career...

He's shown the maturity, poise, a humble attitude, command of the playbook and checkdowns, helping the WR's when they make mistakes, the ability to read the D and make good decisions, accuracy and the ability to beat teams throwing from the pocket, and an accurate deep ball. He's led the team to comeback wins even with great pressure (having to go 99.5 yds) and put up more points and sustained more drives than Collins could. He has gelled well with CJ and together have lifted this team way above where it was and where it was going.

If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is. The reason we couldn't beat the Colts is our defense and some mistakes on offense. VY didn't play his best game, but he still played pretty well for a 'bad' game. Take a look at some of the other young QB's and show me their 'bad' games and compare. Again, he will compare favorably to most of the good young QB's and vastly better than most other young QB's. Right now he's playing far better than Cutler, Leinart, Brady Quinn, Ryan, and Joe Flacco.

His QB rating of 87.1 makes him 15th. If you only include his stats from when he's started, his QB rating goes to 89.6...good enough for 12th. If you include his rushing stats (yards, attempts, TD, fumbles lost) his QB rating jumps to 93.2. That's still 12th best but better than guys like Eli Manning who WON a SB. Yes, I know it's only a handful of games, but everything so far looks VERY encouraging. And by the way, his 'bad' game against the Colts was better than Flacco's...and Flacco has the luxury of a much better D.

Your argument that you don't want to pay him millions...is moot. He's already BEEN paid millions and will continue to make millions. 1st rnd QB's are gonna make millions of dollars for their first 4-5 yrs even before they've thrown a pass. Are you confident the Titans COULD draft a QB in this draft you'd have more confidence in? If yes...WHO and where do you think that player will get picked? Afterall, Flacco and Ryan were the poster boys of getting it done as young QB's and VY is outplaying both of them so far.

In short, VY has significantly passed any reasonable expectations as to how good he'd be this year and is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where reasonable pessimists would expect him to be.

And btw, how am I a prisoner of the moment? 6 weeks is not a moment...it's a month and a half and nearly half a season. By the time any decisions need to be made we will have seen him for 10 weeks...about 2/3 of the season and seen him against multiple good, mediocre, and bad teams.

Would you give the money to Flacco, Ryan or any other QB drafted with or after VY? Why or why not?

Which QB is this?

Your others QB's have little or nothing to do with VY as the situations are different.

No, there isn't. But YOU are NOT cautiosly OPTIMISTIC. You are ONLY being skeptical. Since no QB will complete 100% of his passes, throw every ball perfectly, make the best possible decision 100% of the time, throw TD passes every time in the red zone, convert 3rd down 100% of the time, score TD's on every drive...and finish the season with a perfect QB rating...

...you can always be a skeptic. Please pardon the other posters who don't demand such perfection in a young QB still learning and who show enthusiasm and HOPE when a guy far outplays expectations.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Then hope they spend on improving the D because we will never win a SB with a bottom ranked defense!

Gut

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I'm not talking the money he's made but going to make. Rivers and Roethlisberger for example recently signed big extensions to keep them with their teams for another 6 years or so. Am I ready to hand Young 6 years based off of 6 games? Not a chance. As for a mid round QB that's really more for a future backup and maybe some added competition. Besides who knows, you might get lucky.

It's Marc Bulger who played well in 04, missed half of 05 but was only average and had a really great 06. The Rams sign him to a big deal and now not only can't he stay healthy, when he is healthy he isn't very good. And yes it does relate to the Young situation, as do the other situations. I want to be 100% sold on Young (as should the team) before giving him a 6 year deal. If that takes seeing him play for a year and a half or two years so be it.

Here's where your lack of being around the forums hurts you. After games against the Jags, Bills, Cards, and whoever else I praised Young for looking as if he's finally turned the corner. I called the drive vs. Arizona the greatest game ending drive I've ever seen. But that's not being cautiously optimistic? I'm aware Rome wasn't built in a day and it's going to take more than 6 games for me to just be totally sold on a guy as the franchise QB. How will he play for an entire season? How will he play going into next season with big expectations as opposed to taking over an 0-6 team with no pressure? Can he win a playoff game? What happens should Johnson get hurt? These are things I want to know before I'd say "sure lets keep him around for 6 more years. Maybe you've seen enough to hand over the future to him but I have not.

4. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

^ I actually agree with you here Eddy. I think your last paragraph sums up my feelings. If Young's play continues on like it has for the rest of this season then I personally will have seen enough for him to get the roster bonus and his scheduled pay for next year, but I would like to see more solid play next year before he gets his next big deal. As far as I know he still has 2-3 more years on his deal (2 I think) so I highly doubt the Titans are looking to redo his deal right now. Then again Young's agent may try to demand it but I don't think he will have much leverage.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

:yell2: Hey BigHerm,
    Where you at now??? Vince is STILL on the roster :kiss:.

:thankyou:

April is close, and this was when I said I'd leave the haters alone. Just wanted this one last day to throw in their face.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Bravo, bravo.

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Cross anything involving the NFL in general off your list of future careers...

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

As if there was some magical insight that some folks here had that Young was gonna turn things around as well as he did..

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I KNEW!!! So did others.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Well magic-man, what's Vince gonna do in 2010? I will hold you to it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar