Ben Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DeutschTitan, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Does anyone know where I can find his stats before the draft, i.e. combine and pro day numbers? Thanks.

2. no man sorry, i want the same thing for a few players tho

3. BigRob

BigRob Guest

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

However, Big Ben walked into a team that was playoff quality. Are the Titans? If the answer is no, then a rookie QB (leinart, young or cutler) won't have that same kind of early success.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Gut

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

"maybe not produce immediate returns" ... lol.

Also, they might have ran the same, but Roethlisberger was like 250.

6. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Thanks so much Rob for the goods. Gut, you seem to know where I'm trying to go with this. Yes, I was trying to find similarities in the two, but not trying to say that Cutler would have the same success. But that aside, I do think that both have very much in common coming out. Both went to college's that weren't in the lime light, didn't win a whole lot, are similar in some respects, both have a chip on their shoulder, both are hard workers, etc. I dunno how play-off ready the Steelers were that year. They had just come off a 6-10 season and plugged a few holes. They didn't look too impressive in their opener against Baltimore, but yet found ways of keeping the Rookie from making too many mistakes down the stretch. I'm not saying we could do the same, but we could do something similar. Especially if we loose McNair - Cutler might be able to step in sooner ahead of the others and maybe we can find ways of minimizing possible mistakes by him. Anyways, this is just a few thoughts - not that I think this will happen or anything.....

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

According to the SI link that Rob posted, Roethlisberger is much slower than Cutler, with Big Ben running in the 4.9 area and Cutler being a 4.77. Also, I thought I read a recent article stating that Cutler had been bulking up some from his 226 or 225 frame? Maybe it was that USAToday article from this week?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

The point about rothlisberger is that he is good and he was a great pick. So what if he wouldn't have had the same numbers with an average team? Maybe his 98 passing rating with the steelers would translate to just an 88 rating with a mediocre team. I'll take that. I just want to draft a guy who will be a good player for the next 10 years.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

And Roethlisberger won a lot in college...

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's a little something to chew on!

Commence munching...

Here's the simple stats for pitt coming out of the 2003 season (before drafting Big Ben). Then I'll put up the 2004 stats so you can see the impact he made. See if you notice what REALLY made the difference in Pitt in 2004...was it Big Ben?

Pitt's stats in 2003
    Offense ranked 22 (299.5)
    run game ranked 31 (93yd/game)
    pass attack ranked 14 (206.5)
    TOP ranked 12th (30:42)
    Points for ranked 18 (18.8pts/g)

Defense ranked 9th (298.9yds/g)
    run D ranked 12 (108.8yds/g)
    pass D ranked 11 (190.1yds/g)
    top ranked 12 (29:18)
    points against ranked 14th (20.4)

After drafting Big Ben they had a 15-1 record and check out these stats...
    Offense ranked 16th (324yds/g)
    Rush attack ranked 2 (154yds/g)
    Pass attack ranked 28 (170yds/g)
    TOP ranked 1 (34min)
    Points for ranked 11 (23.2points/g)

Defense ranked 1st (258.4 yds/g)
    rush D ranked 1st (81.2yds/g)
    pass D ranked 4th (177.2yds/g)
    points allowed ranked 1st (15.7points/g)

As you may notice, Pitt drastically changed there record from 2003 to 2004, but the main thing is, there running backs were hurt in 2003 which is why they had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and why they had to air it out alot more. With the healthy return of their rb's in 2004 and the emergence of polamalu on D, there rushing attack, TOP, overall D, scoring D and run D led the league. Notice that adding Big Ben actually set back there air attack to near LAST in the league.

Taking note of these stats should tell you and the Titans something. Having a great running game and a great D is a good recipe for not only a winning record, but getting back to the Super Bowl. Come to think of it, that's exactly how we got there the first time!

And BTW, any QB drafted in the top 10 who is given the #1 rush offense and the #1 defense in the league SHOULD be successful. Do we have that to offer? Anything close? The answer is a resounding NO!

Here are our stats from last year...

Offense ranked 17th (320.1 yds/g)
    rush attack 23rd (95.3yds/g) (we were 29th in rushing first downs)
    pass attack 9th (224.8yds/g)
    TOP 9th (31:13)
    points for 21st (18.7points/g)

defensive ranked 19th (319.4yds/g)
    rush D ranked 22nd (118.4yds/g) (we were 31st in 20+yd runs given up)
    pass D ranked 17th (201yds/g)
    points allowed 29th (26.3points per game)

Some things to keep in mind...

Chris Brown had a 4.9avg the year before but both he and Henry had a 3.8 avg this past season. Something tells me the OT's had something to do with it!

Before last season, several people said taking Derrick Johnson would be a waste since Sirmon is so good...there'd be no point in drafting an OLB. Now people are saying the D can't be expected to be good with a cripple at OLB (sirmon). So which is it? I guess I was correct since we ended up going after Thornton to play OLB.

Sure we had some injuries on D, but with our starting talent (4 first rd picks, 4 second rd picks, 1 3rd rdr, 1 4th rdr and 1 undrafted free agent) there is no WAY we should end up near last in D. And before I hear you tell me how hard it is for rookie corners and the like to fill in, the Pats played a good chunk of their last Super Bowl season (AND the Super Bowl) with an undrafted free agent as a starting CB and a WR playing nickel.

So how do we fix the run game and our D? Draft Leinart, Young or Cutler in rd 1? Hopefully this will give you an idea of the rebuilding that is necessary!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar