Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RyansTitans, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Does production fall off in the 40+ years? Your argument before was that they do but now he is going to likely put up more homers then the prior season and might do it with less at bats. How do you explain that?

2. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Do I really have to tell you why Barry Bonds gets more heat than anyone? Are you that oblivious? Barry Bonds gets more heat than any other player who took steroids because he just broke the most hallowed record in all of sports. People don't care that other people took steroids to hit 40 home runs in one season, or win 20 games in one year. The fact of the matter is that if it wasn't for steroids (ALLEGEDLY), Bonds would not have came close to the record. That's why people still think that Hank Aaron is the home run king. And to go back to Carpy's point, if he is indeed innocent, why isn't he shouting it from the mountaintops? If I was being accused of a crime that I was innocent of, you bet your *** I would be preaching my innocence to anyone that would listen. But I guess that the old saying does reign true, silence is deafening.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It is inconceivable. And yes, because he wasn't born in the same era. But even if he was, Wilt Chamberlain would be about as good as Lamar Odom IF that. He was a lanky guy with mediocre skills that towered over everyone. So, he'd camp under the basket and also got how many free-throws? Like 40 something? He also was allowed to step over the line on free throws, so he could basically lay the ball in.

But, that is the argument. Things have changed too much. Players are better today due to evolution. They're naturally faster, bigger, stronger, etc at younger ages. Then you take the technical sides - sporting events now are far more strategic. But that's just it. That's the reason these guys are better. Evolution in general of sports, and humans.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If Bonds was a media-favorite, nobody would care. Nobody would say A THING if Ken Griffey broke the record, even if there were suspicions. Race is an issue too, though It's not a big one here.
    Nobody is making a big deal of the Sosa/McGuire records. They were on steroids. Why is this? They broke a HR record, so? Sort of proves the point. The media and fans liked them. And there's your explanation.

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

McGwire got out, that's why he hasn't taken on a wave of criticism. There never has been much of an outcry over Sosa, except for maybe the corked bat incident. McGwire got KILLED after the Congressional Hearing because of his whole "I'm not here to talk about the past" crap. Sosa got out, at least for a year, and let the whole steroids thing blow over him.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You do realize he admitted putting a cream on that was a steroid but claimed to not know it was steroids, right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I said players NOT on roids start losing power in their late 30's. Barry's 26 HRs last season didn't put him in the top 40 on the HR list which was a HUGE dropoff from the 45 he put up two years previously.

My beef is 2000 - '04. The roid years.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We can all reasonbly presume that Bonds used steroids. But so did at LEAST 5-7 percent of the league in 2002. Bonds is not the only person to blame, but because he is such a jerk, many people lazily focus upon him with their hatred. People need a fall guy and the league, the commissioner and other players don't mind it being Bonds. (Much the same with Pac) But the reason they haven't cooked him I suspect, is because he could blow the whole thing wide open.

Last night was special. Bonds broke the record AND DID NOT VIOLATE ANY STANDARD in the league in so doing. We can all speculate and judge him according to our own standard and our needs to affirm our own beliefs. But I agree with RyansTitans and Kamikaze in justly recognizing he never tested positive. There was a whole lot more involved that Bonds simply deciding to start taking steroids. It just isn't as simple as many want to make it.

10. CALI_TITANS

CALI_TITANS Starter

it would be better if griffy or a-rod hit it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar