Barrett Ruud Worst Pass-Rushing LB of 2011

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bababooey, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

You don't always understand too well, so I'll reiterate.

Guys like Ruud may not be on a guy like Patrick Willis's athletic level. So even if Ruud were of high intelligence (like Willis) he may be limited physically more so than mentally.

It's no secret some athletes are smarter than others and some more physically gifted than others.

I'm saying Ruud may not have panned out to the athletic potential a guy like Willis has or someone like Wimbley COULD, with the right football IQ.

So while Ruud was a starting MLB, he wasn't a total force because of physical setbacks like COD in coverage or something.

It's to say that while Ruud wasn't a good MLB for us, it doesn't have to be because he had a low football IQ. He clearly got somewhere in the NFL for a while and it's hard to survive without some decent football IQ for too long.

So McCarthy COULD have learned something from Ruud because maybe he has some physical ability that Ruud didn't at this point in their careers, whether Ruud sucked or not.

It's literally the basis of former players becoming coaches. Not sure how it's tough to understand. Physical limitations may have held you back, but it's not necessary for you to be oblivious to the game to be a bad or average player.

And to be serious, there is literally only two things Ruud beat Willis at as far as combine numbers: bench press and 20 yard shuttle.

Willis was better in 40 yrd, 20 yrd, 10 yrd dashes, broad jump, vert, and 3cone.

So to say Willis isn't or even wasn't a clearly better athlete is silly.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

About 10 paragraphs more than it's worth trying to explain it to him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny you didn't read his post? He completely changed what he said in the first post.

In his first post he ASSUMED that Ruud was more intelligent. I asked how he came to that conclusion and he has yet to provide that answer. He can't.

Don't stereotypes bother you? Smart but not so fast athletic white guy vs super athletic but not so smart black guy. That was from his first post!

He knew knew there was something wrong with that so he needed 12 paragraphs to explain himself.

Who wrote that? I didn't make that up he wrote that trash!

4. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Still not reading too well, I see.

I said take his intelligence and put it in Willis' body and he's maybe more productive than he was.

Clearly Kam Wimbley is another dude with incredible physical talents. Maybe his knowledge of the MLB position plus that frame and ability results in more production.

Nowhere does that assume that either are less smart than Ruud, but that maybe he could be as good as them if he were as physically gifted as them.

Clearly watching the guy on the field, he's not a ball-chasing speedy 6'4"+ 250lb+ playmaker with coverage ability. The physical isn't there.

But it's not crazy to think the mental ability is there and thus can still pass something on to McCarthy.

Everyone assumed because he wasn't productive for us that he couldn't teach Colin something.

I mapped out a scenario where he could, considering he wasn't some ultra gifted athlete yet still made it almost as far as other fantastic LBs with superior physical skills.

Is it my fault the best LB in the game is black or that our most athletic LB (mostly cause I just saw him on Ninja Warrior and thought he was sick) is black? But let the race wars fight on in your head. lol.

EDIT: That post, I thought would be obvious, is not treating Ruud and Willis as equals in terms of football ability. It's saying Willis has mental AND physical. Wimbley easily has physical, mental I have no clue based on production. But Ruud could easily have been as mentally smart as anyone in the game but he is not the most agile or athletic player in the game by far. It's like saying Ruud+Physical Ability could equal Willis. Or Ruud's probable mental grasp of the game plus Wimbley's physical attributes could equal a Willis.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

its not worth it, trust me, just leave while you are ahead.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Right? It's incredible sometimes.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Barrett&l=Ruud&i=7247

I could not find a wonderlic score for Ruud, Willis or Wimbley. So again i ask why would anybody assume that Ruud is more intelligent?

Why would you want to put Ruud's intelligence in another player if you don't assume he is more intelligent?

So instead of just manning up and saying you didn't mean it that way you keep pretending you never said that?

I could see if Ruud went to Stanford or Harvard but he went to a big football school, Nebraska. So again why would any other player benefit from his intelligence?

Your words not mine.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

RT, he never said that they were dumb, he just said that if you somehow manged to swap Ruud’s brain with one of their bodies, you are likely to have a great MLB. i dont understand how any of that got misinterpreted. he did not have to say what he thought about kam’s and pat’s intelligence because it is irrelevant to his point.

9. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Here's my final post on this, then you can just talk to yourself if you can't understand it past this.

It's simple math here, buddy.

We have two things involved here. physical ability (P) and intelligence (I).

It's clear that Patrick Willis has a lot of both to play and produce as well as he does.

Let's slap a 10 on him for each category. He's now a twenty.

Now Ruud doesn't get the luxury of physical ability on Willis's level. Let's call it a 6 (or 7, go wild).

Now it's clear that Ruud must have MORE football intelligence than Willis to be as good as him.

Let's call 15 the bar for starting at MLB.

Ruud could, theoretically, have AS MUCH intelligence as Willis. So 10.

Now Ruud is 16. Willis is still 20 because he's a much better physical specimen, though they could, in theory, know JUST as much as each other about playing MLB.

This allows them to both be qualified to start on an NFL team, but not necessarily play on the same level.

So let's go to Wimbley now. Wimbley has Willis' 10 athleticism, but can't match up to Willis/Ruud's intellgence. So let's say he's got a 6 intelligence (I have no clue, this is just based on the idea that he hasn't produced all that much but is quite physically impressive).

Now Wimbley is a 16 as well as Ruud. Wimbley got there with athleticism. If he puts in a bunch of work, he could become 7, 8, 9, even TEN in intelligence. He has the physical POTENTIAL to be a Patrick Willis, for argument's sake.

Mental barriers are MUCH easier to pass than physical.

If you can't understand that both Ruud and Willis CAN be qualified starters, but not necessarily football equals, after that grade school analogy and simply addition, I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Also from some quick investigation, some (unconfirmed) numbers on Wonderlics- KW 9, PW 12, BR 35. Could easily be BS, not from any primary or even seemingly secondary sources.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I never said that he implied they were dumb just that he basically said they were not as intelligent as him and Ruud was not as athletic as they are.

You want to write the post for him now?

Keep in mind that this is gotitans a board where several people once compared Mariani to Wes Welker. Didn't matter that Mariani had hardly caught a pass in his career and Welker might be in the hall of fame. They don't even have the same body types but they are white and wear #83 so they are similar!

Maybe we can get beyond these stupid stereotypes that certain players must be smarter but less athletic and other players dumber and more athletic.

Deuce Wayne(Your hero?) said that Colin McCarthy was "slow and lumbering" even though his workouts say otherwise. Why did he say that? You know why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar