Article: Volek blew it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I agree with RollTide about one thing: this has nothing to do with performance or system. The only place were Collins has a leg up on Volek is experience and leadership and that's probably why he's here. Certainly you can't argue that a guy with a career completion of 55.6 is making good decisions. Well you could, but then he'd have to throw some seriously lame ducks and I don't know what's worse, not identifying the right receiver or not be able to get the football there. At least we've seen that Volek can get the football there.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Thank you jeff...

Whatever accomplishments volek has will not be counted and anything good that collins does shall be amplified. Is that it? You just won my arguement for me.

If volek was 24-38 in a game for 266 yards and one int and then threw a 54 yard TD pass would we say that it doesn't count somehow? Then blame jeff fisher because he let volek throw that pass.

Why is everything situational all of a sudden? Does every positive thing that young accomplished worthless now because he did it against second and third string guys? Was collins playing against a first rate fresh defense? I assume that if the opposing defense is 2nd string then so are the players around our QB. So why does that matter?

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

In the Green Bay game the Packers pulled their starters after 1 drive, but the Titans still played their starters.

4. Yvette

Yvette Starter

I sniff a smokescreen. I keep thinking about the articles during OTA's -- how hard BV was working, how he and some of the guys were going to work together at some camp on their own time, blah blah blah.

During camp we hardly heard anything about BV because the focus was mostly on VY. But when we did read or hear something, it wasn't ever bad.

I think it was Broken Record who said BV just isn't a difference maker... now that I'm buying!

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Volek has been given a chance and he's failed. Time and Time again. What positive could come from starting him? Losing isn't positive. Obviously, there's more to why they don't like Volek than what we see. It stems from prctices over the last several years. Not that Collins is a savior or anything but he's got a better track record than Volek. He's an experienced starter that has been on winning teams and Volek isn't (at least as a starter). Collins is here to keep the ship above water until Young is ready and that's it. He gives us a better chance of winning.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vigsted...

I agree with everything you said except the leadership part. I don't see collins as a dynamic leader in his career.

I'm glad you brought up collins' accuracy as an issue. Volek very well might be the more accurate passer.

Given what i have seen in billy volek as a competitor, leader etc i can't say that collins has an edge.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yet we were adamant about keeping him as a backup to McNair and refused to trade him?

2005 Oakland 4-12
    2004 Oakland 5-11
    2003 N.Y. Giants 4-12
    2002 N.Y. Giants 10-6
    2001 N.Y. Giants 7-9
    2000 N.Y. Giants 12-4
    1999 N.Y. Giants 7-9
    1998 New Orleans 6-10
    1997 Carolina 7-9
    1996 Carolina 12-4
    1995 Carolina 7-9

Total 81-95

Yeah I can see he has a great track record recently.... or NOT!

8. Funny that you left off the 2000 NFC Champion Giants off that list...

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Ï didn't I just had to look elsewhere than NFL.com

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

rcaries...

Losing isn't positive.
    -------------------

Kerry collins has been a starting QB in the NFL for 11 years and only three of those teams had winning racords. The rest were losers! Did it occur to you for even a minute to actually take a second and find that information? Did it? Better to guess then know?

You call volek a loser, why? Everyone knows damn well that the bulk of his career starts came in the second half of 2004 when we had no defense and barely had an offensive line d/t injury. He also didn't have chris brown the last 5 games of that year. How could he win? The last 8 games of 2004 the titans gave up an average of 33 points a game. Peyton manning would have lost most of those games.

:sad2: :sad2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar