Article: Volek blew it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I don't know about all the details, but there has been talk about bringing in a vet QB for months. For all we know, Collins has had a Titans playbook since McNair was traded.

There's a significantly better chance of it. It's a new team with new vet leadership - players who know what Collins has accomplished. Football players who respect that regardless of being tossed out of NY for Eli Manning, and the circus in Oakland.

2. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I heard Wychek on the radio this week say that we shouldn't read too much into the guaranteed money, that if we traded him the team he was traded to absorbs some of the cost. Now if he was cut, it would be all dead money then.

3. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I'm suprised Rolltide is so against the Collins move. He's cheap. He's got a strong arm. He's seen a lot of coverages. What's the downside? How is he going to hurt the teams chances of success this year?

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Bad accuracy, lead feet, unfamiliarity with the playbook and the players around him. RollTide can probably think of a couple more.

He's probably not going to hurt the team, but he's just not an upgrade over Volek. And from all account there hasn't been a fair competition to prove or disprove this. If they brought in Collins and had a fair and open competition as to who would be the starter, I wouldn't mind it, but Collins apparently given the keys to the offence without proving anything.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Vigsted, are you open to the possibility that Volek blew up and threw a fit at the notion of Collins coming in? Maybe Volek has hurt himself with Fisher... maybe Volek was unhappy that Vince Young was even drafted and was vocal about it at one point. Could be the case that Volek is on Fisher's $#!* list. Also, Volek isn't known to be durable. I'm sorry to bust that but there are plenty of people here that have expressed serious doubts about Volek's ability to stay on the field. Collins has at least shown he can start. Someone provided some stats somewhere here that illustrated that Collins was a more reliable starter than even McNair.

Now, going into a season with two qb's with approximately equal skills, wouldn't you want the cocky, arrogant jerk a-hole that is Collins who you know can start 13+ games for you and has led a team to a championship or Mr. Whiney fuss boy that wants the job handed to him because he feels it's his birthright when he has never even been a starter? A guy who refers to himself "just another wheel" or "a cog in the machine" or whatever lame kiss *** metaphor he is using this week? I've seen posts from people here that suggest that the team doesn't even respect Billy like they feel like a starting qb in this league should be respected. It comes across to me as if they have more regard for Young, who as much as I would LOVE to see play has no business starting at this point.

Bottom line is, Volek hasn't really done much and he's done even less in Chow's system. Chow strikes me as a guy that doesn't have much patience for horsehocky and that is precisely what it sounds like Volek is hawking. Plus, Volek needs some pocket precence... Yeah, I know our line isn't all pro but Volek was sacked 3 times in the same series. In the New Orleans game there were some throws that really made me scratch my head. Maybe he could get a little help from the other ten guys out there but it is so evident that he is not going to cut it. Collins on the other hand has decent stats over a period of years. In fact, the argument has been made that Collins stats are better than McNairs, and we all would agree to start McNair over Volek (except for Ewker and Mr. E) ... so that just goes to show how meaningless the stats are here.

I'm not really pleased with this situation at all. It is worth it to me to have a 50 million dollar qb on the backburner. I'd rather be where we are now than have McNair, less d-fewer FA's... +D'Brickshaw Fergueson. Collins might not be that bad. If we can get Brown very involved in the screen game and some things come together we might gain some measure of respectability. I am looking for the Titans to trade Volek away once a need presents itself somewhere in the league. If not we have the best #3 qb in the business. Either way I buy into Billy losing face with Fisher/Chow, etc... If I was in Voleks shoes I'd be so irate they would cut me. Then again I'm just an cocky, arrogant, jerk a-hole.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

BiPolar, only one sentence out of all of that is true :ha:

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

You look like Howard Dean.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Do those of you who think Collins isn't an upgrade think Fisher has lost his mind?

9. H Man

H Man Guest

Were you trying to say Volek is on Fisher's Special High Itensity Training list? :))

I like your point about the O-Line. The lines, O and D, are really where it's won or lost, huh?

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I wonder if Fisher had anything to do with it. His hands may have been tied by the new guy (forgot his name). If Fisher had something to do with it then Yes he has lost his mind.

If the coaching staff after watching Volek for 6 yrs knew he wasn't a #1 why wait until the 1-2 weeks before the season begins to bring in Collins or anyone else. If you look at the preseason games Volek played less this yr than in the previous yrs!!!

If you look at the poll on who will start it is pretty much divided between Volek and Collins as to who we think it will be. Didn't the Tennessean run a poll about it also. I seem to remember one of the reporters going nuts because so many wanted Volek to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar