Article from ESPN on our Offseason

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by theprizdfighter, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Did the NFL end the FA portion of the season all ready?

Seems we have been smart not to move on over paying players and are looking at huge cap space, draft picks to trade, and positions to fill.

If we announced a trade for Champ Bailey (not realistic but you never know) in the last week before the draft or a big time S or a good DE the people acting like our team has gone to the crapper would completely 360 and be praising how well we did in the off season.

I did not see much in the FA market that was going to be much more then a couple seasons shiny toy. If we are going to finish this rebuild lets do it correctly with solid guys who will mature with the team not stop gap no talents that are paid twice as much as they should be.

Like i mentioned in the other post though, if something is not happening by the time the draft is here or on 1st day I would question the logic but until then I will let the guy do what he does. I assume he is probably better at it and more informed then any person on this board.

2. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

Could this be the same player in Chris Hope that also said...

What I don't understand is that were letting these players go and not filling in the gaps, how will we be playoff contenders next season? And, even when or if we fill in the gaps these new players will have to adjust to the scheme. So, yes I don't believe we'll improve next season, looks like we have took a step back. Yet I do have faith that it could pay off, I just don't think it was necessary to do so.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Let me simplify my points in hopes you will understand.

1. We should have kept Henry- we agree on this one.

2. We should have kept Wade- we disagree on this one ( I never said anything about Stallworth, but just FYI, I never wanted him either).

3. We agree that letting Bennett go was the right move.

4. It appears that MR is managing the off-season and cap like somebody managing year one of re-building would. As a paying fan, I'm mostly irritated that it appears we are heading for our 4th consecutive .500 or less, no playoff year.

5. We jettisoned Henry and Wade, who IMO were "upside" players that contributed greatly to the win streak at the end of last season. They could have been kept without great risk of putting us in cap hell.

6. We have made no moves to replace or upgrade any play-maker in FA. We are relying on 1st and 2nd years or rookies from the draft to do this for us. This is a risk. Will it pay off? I don't know, but I don't feel good about LenDale having a 1200 yard year.

7. Have we taken a HUGE step back? I don't know- I never said that. But I do believe unless we get some vets that are "upgrades" or "upside" play-makers, particularly on offense, we are looking at .500 or less.

8. I agree the jury isn't out on the off-season moves MR has made. But the pickings are only getting slimmer and the pressure is on MR to bring home some real plums in order to "upgrade" with where we are now.

4. zackmann

zackmann Guest

Will the titans slip next year? YES!

Is it b/c of the new GM and the lack of a free agent signings and letting some of our FA's leave? NO!

The sole reason we will slip next year and have a losing season is b/c of Pacman Jones not playing...

5. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Everything will be all right for you guys. Y'all picked up Kerry Collins and a special teams LB.:thumb:

6. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Texans will still suck.

7. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

We were an 8-8 team last year, but you forget that we lost another four games by no more than 3 points. (NYJ by 3, Miami by 3, Indy by 3, Baltimore by 1) We had neither Travis Henry or Vince Young in the Jets and the Dolphins losses. There's very good chance that if we play Young from the beginning, we win those two games and play in the playoffs. My point is, this team may have underachieved. So I don't see us slipping at all.

Honestly, I expect to see LenDale White make a lot of people around here eat their words. He's mad talented. Everyone keeps pointing out his conditioning last year, but everyone forgets he couldn't run until the preseason began, so he didn't have a summer of workouts under his belt like he will this year.

8. Blazing Arrow

Your argument as I see it and the one brought up in the article and the posts that followed the first post I made on this thread is that we have taken a step backwards.

I do not agree with that statement and have presented the arguments that the people we have lost were not irreplaceable and that we have a long time before the FA and draft are threw with.

Trying to speak down to someone because you are not understanding thier arguement does not make you points anymore or less valid.

"reread" what I posted. All of it not just skimming especially the Henry part in the post you attacked. Notice I say he is not that great, has had some pretty soft season and did not show up until our O-line and Young were playing well. That is a system player and we can fit someone else in that system. We spent the money on White lets use him or realize we need someone new in 08. Don't let him rot under Henry.

That is complete opinion which you are more then welcome too but do not act as if it is set in stone and my varying opinion does not hold just as much weight.

MY opinion is we still have time, a draft, and have passed on some "upgrades" that are not that much of an upgrade and players we would most likely be getting rid of in the next season or two. Would you rather have a aged WR here for two seasons or maybe pickup a solid WR who can developed along side Young and work together for several seasons? The FA class at WR was pitiful this season. So you would have been happy with us picking up who at that position to replace those players?

RB I mentioned above. You do not draft a RB round two that you want to have hang out on your bench for season after season. Henry's career has been all over the place. He has had 3 good season but also had 3 bad seasons. Which side of the coin comes to play next season? With White back there it is his chance to shine or give us reason to use our #1 on a RB the next season. The coaches seem to trust him enough to think he is going to be the feature back. Pac-10 all time TD record holder. The guy can play, and if the running game is a system a guy like White should be able to get around 1000 yards. He had a decent running average and showed he can catch out of the back field.

That is assuming that these losses were as big as the article (the reason the thread was started and the posts following) state. We played with one of the hardest schedules last season and still came out with an 8-8. Now if our season is not as tough and we even match the play of last season we probably squeak another win or maybe two out. See this is assuming what I have said that the losses were not all that dramatic. The WR position will get another no name player who will get over hyped and he will put up 450~750 yards. LW will get put in the system and our run game will not be great but it will not be terrible. Similar to last season.

Which bring us back to why I posted in the first place. The man deserves a chance and IMO he has passed on some mediocre FA talent and not over paid guys that will not be here in a season or two. Still time left people. Glass half full until we start losing games. :koolaid:

9. Blazing Arrow

And now we have N Harper.

:koolaid:

Did someone add more sugar?

10. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

He'll play, Bud Adams isnt stupid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar