Arthur Smith is a Big Issue!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thanos22, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The problem I have always had with Henry is his limitations in half the offense. He doesn't pass protect well. He doesn't catch the ball well. It's REALLY hard to build your offense around a guy who is that limited.

9 minutes left in the game and down a couple scores against the Colts and Henry is on the sideline because he just isn't the best option at RB in that situation. Your best offensive player should not be on the sideline when it's desperation time, yet here we are.

Henry is really good at his game, but it hamstrings the offense sometimes. When the defense is as bad as it is he's even less effective.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Not to say that it's entirely incorrect, but I don't agree.

Henry is talented and can catch and protect just fine. He's just not being used to the best of his abilities. That's on Arthur, not Henry.

I get it, this loss was a tough pill to swallow, but let's not forget that without Henry this team is likely 3-6 instead of 6-3. It's not Henry's fault that every single time he's on the field it's a run up the middle. In fact it's goddam amazing he's as successful as he is when the defense knows what's coming every time he's on the field.

Blame that on the coaching staff. I think we should be more concerned about the fact that we don't have a F-ing DC, but that's just my opinion.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. RTH

RTH Meh...

Until Defense and STs starts getting their heads out of their asses, I withhold any complaints toward Arthur.

Our offense is putting up points.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Excellent post Bonky

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Henry has improved in PP and catching, if hes not that's what training camp and practices are for.. surely we didnt extend him to just run up the middle? Feed the beast! You can tell when Henry leaves the field hes pissed.

It's not all on Arthur, the defense sucks, but Henry needs to get going and when he does they pull him.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Fry

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. In Derrick Henry's entire football career, from high school, college, and NFL, he has 147 receptions. 11 years of football. He had 17 receptions in college. You telling me no one has known how to get Derrick Henry involved in the passing game?

That's what he does best. It's stretch play after stretch play because that's his game. Let him get his momentum going and use his stiff arm on smaller defenders on the perimeter or make a single cut back inside.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Fry

He's improved in pass pro, for sure. He used to be a downright liability. Now he's just average. He's still not the best option to do it. He looks straight up uncomfortable catching anything passed the line of scrimmage.

He's damn good at his thing. His thing requires the game script to break his way too much though. A bad defense makes him less effective.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Both views can be, and are right IMO.

Henry is not without his limitations. No one can say he is the complete back.

The coaches can also do a better job at developing him and tweaking the offence so that he can be out there when we're behind by 2 or more possessions.

9. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Idk I feel like maybe I’m watching different games. Titans have really struggled to sustain drives lately. Had 2 big drives in this one and we went 3 & out on one and couldn’t gain a yard 2 plays in a row on the other.

Seems like the drives go haywire once we take Henry out. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I’m seeing.

10. Fry

My two biggest gripes about the offense from Thursday were:

1. Not enough AJ Brown.

2. That fake to Blazingame on 3rd and 1. How many times have we given the ball to the fullback this season? Zero? It's definitely less than 2. What defense is going to bite on that when it isn't Derrick Henry being faked to?

That's honestly it. To say Arthur is a problem is asinine though. I think he's done a great job this season.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar