Are you sure CB is not one of our top 2 needs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

i agree good point. Beacuse someone can run a fraction of a second faster millions of dollars are lost for the .01 slower player, and the team whos pays more for the .01 faster player might be missing out on the more talented guy. Thats why i barely pay any attention to the combine, its kind of a fluke

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I wouldn't call the combine a fluke

3. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I wouldn't call it necessary either.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If the combine is a waste of money then the nfl hasn't fiqured that out because they spend millions on it every year.

It's not a matter in this discussion between a football player and a guy who just works out good. What if both guys are good players?

Nobody thinks that finnegan's 4.36 speed is part of the reason why he is a good player?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They must be wasting money because they knew Finnegan ran a 4.36 and still he was drafted in the 7th.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

We should draft gifted athletes, because they can be coached. On the other hand, we shouldn't turn our backs on guys that can immediately come in, and make plays. The combine is one of the best barometers for players making the transition from college to the pros. But until they wear pads at the combine, it is kind of fluky.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I like Cason a lot. But I'm not sold on him being a 1st round pick.

I watched a bunch of his games over the last 2 years and the thing that stands out is his tackling skills and his run support. Eventually he might project to FS in the pros. He reminds me of Antrel Rolle, in that he is passionate about the game and brings an aggressive mind-set.

If we are looking for a nickel CB who may eventually play outside, I don't think he is the right fit for us. He isn't "quick" enough to line up on slot receivers consistently.

Porter may be a better fit in that role, but he is a liability as a tackler (which means he won't see the field anytime soon under Fisher).

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's the floyd reese train of thought.

andre woolfolk, tyrone calico, ben troupe, keith bulluck and jevon kearse were all taken because of their athletic ability, not really their football savvy. it worked out twice.

and then there's chris henry in the reinfeldt era.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Since I think DE/DT, WR will be our top priorities in the draft, I think it's unlikely we'll draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. However, if the right player slips to our spot, I'm sure we'd grab him.

One CB I'd like to see us interested in, for a 3rd round selection, is Justin King from Penn State. He's that junior that sucked in the second half of last season. But before then he had some good games against very good college receivers (Ginn & Meachem come to mind). He also graduated college in three years. That makes me think he is fairly smart or at least a dedicated individual.

He could train behind Finny and Harper, which would be what this guy needs since it's unlikely he could start immediately and have success.

He's not a sure thing CB, but for a 3rd round pick I'd be optimistic. (Much more so than Paul Williams from last year).

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Maybe it only worked out twice so far (though circumstances for the others are debatable), but those two times are ****ing sweet. I wouldn't care if they used every pick on workout warriors as long as one of them turned out like Bulluck. On the other hand, and to the point I was making is that we shouldn't hold as MUCH credence in those combine numbers if the guy has proved to be a playmaker on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar