Are we done with FA WRs since we signed Hawk?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I honestly don't know what we're gonna do this offseason at the WR position. There's a lot of appealing names out there in FA, but we for once have some depth at the position.

I think both fans and the FO would agree that the position hinges on Kenny Britt.

Without Kenny Britt: Our core is solid and WR's weren't the reasons we lost in some of the close games. We could us another 3/4 receiver to provide us depth or compete to move up the depth chart. Avery showed signs but more competition before camp is never a bad idea. If we improved in other areas we'd still be competitive if Cook continues to develop.

With Kenny Britt: Our corps is pretty dangerous with Washington as a solid #2 and Williams and Hawkins competing for time as 3rd options. Britt, Hawkins, and Williams have shown that they can get yards on screens. If the run game can be more productive we could have an elite offense.

I don't think our season hinges on the position, but I'd like to see us look at adding more depth. If Britt does stay healthy, we'll overpay at the position and might not address other needs. If Britt doesn't stay healthy, we'll still have a serviceable enough group to compete with the right gameplans.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If we could just run the ball we wouldn't need to worry about adding WR's. Cook has proven he can be our 3rd option throwing, we just need to fix our ground game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I am still not sure why we need to spend all that money on a free agent wide receiver. You want to talk about putting all your eggs in one basket, thats what that means.

Washington proved he could be a number 1, I have no idea what guy you were watching out there, but I am not worried about Washington. Cook has shown he has the ability to take over games and I am sure next season he will not have such a slow start.

We get the offensive line men we need and we fix the running game, that will improve the passing game. We have glaring holes on this team that need to be addressed before wide receiver.

Our defense was number one for a period of time last year because we played very poor offensive teams. I heard that argument in another thread and again, does not make any sense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

In terms of big names free agent WRs (Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston) and medium names (Mario Manningham, Robert Meachem), I think the Titans are definitely done.

I could see the Titans trying to slightly upgrade Donnie Avery's spot with another team's cast-off, but even that is probably unlikely.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We all know the NFL is a cut throat business, but it would be a major slap in the face to Washington and Williams if we signed a big name free agent. It would be a knock on our WR coach Dave Ragone also. I don't think Munchak wants to mess that up, this is surprisingly our best WR group ever.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

With Britt, Washington, DWill and Hawkins along with Cook (who was our 2nd best WR in yards and rec) we have a solid group. The best thing to do, and I think it is what the FO will do, is grab a WR in the 3rd round or later in the draft. Guys like Dwight Jones, Brian Quick, Nick Toon, Stephen Hill, Jeff Fuller or Marvin McNutt are big 6'3-6'5 guys who could be available in the 3-4 rounds.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I agree completely that Kenny has to prove he can play an entire season before we can count on him to be back. I've seen a lot of players come back from tearing up their knee and their first season back they aren't the same player for a while. They're tenative on cutting and planting because they're afraid to get hurt again. It takes them a while to regain trust in their knees. I don't think Kenny staying in shape and working out in TN has much to do with a knee injury. If your knee buckles or bends funny it doesn't matter how in shape you are, you can tear a ligament any time. Now the hamstring injuries he's been prone to are another story. If you're in shape and stretch welll every day you shouldn't have a problem with that.

I also agree with the fact that we need to pickup a WR who can be WR 1B on the depth chart in case Kenny goes down. Nate is a clear #2 and is awesome at what he does, but we need someone else for insurance. I don't like the idea of getting someone in FA. This draft might be the best class of WRs I've ever seen. There will easily be some 1st round talents that slip to the 2nd, and some 2nd rounders that slip to the 3rd etc. I'd keep an eye on someone like Ryan Broyles from OU in the 3rd round. Would be a huge steal if he's there. Nick Toon and Alshon Jeffrey could probably be there in the 2nd if we want to take one that early.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Tommie Streeter is a guy I'd consider in the 3rd round if he drops that far. 6'5, runs in the 4.4s. Brian Quick is another 6'5 guy that would be great value in the 3rd round. Dwight jones might be the best value of all in the 2nd round at 6'4. There are so many good prospects it makes sense we would be looking for one at minimum in the 3rd round but if they really want one of the best of the bunch they can almost get late 1st round quality with our 2nd round pick with a guy like Dwight Jones. Some quality guys are going to slip simply because there are so many available.

If I had to guess I'd bet we wait until the 3rd round and grab a WR like we did with DWill. We could/should get a guy just as good or better as DWill which is solid value. Maybe not quite a Kenny Britt level player but still a solid guy to develop and give us depth should Britt or another WR go down.

9. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

If we draft a WR, it will be the last 2 rounds more than likely. I don't see it before then because of the defensive and OL needs.

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think mid rnd WR is what we do. I think we might go for a quick playmaker. A guy who can take a screen the distance. Can be a threat on a reverse and who has return experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar