Are there any Safeties worse than ours?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CriticalTheory, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

I remember a time when Tank was a force on D. He was blitzing the QB, getting sacks, he even had a few INTs. Now some may say that it's his knee. Since the entire defense is underachieving I must say that I don't think it's the knee. I think it is the DC. Tank has already proven to me that he can play good football at a high level. I believe a different defensive coaching philosophy would bring out his strengths and allow him to use his talents.

I agree with statements on another thread that Bulluck (my favorite Titan) isn't physical. But no one on our defense is physical. I have seen Tank knock the crap out of somebody. I have seen Lamont Thompson do the same. I know for a fact they have it in them. I also think that the entire defense can be headhunters. They just need different direction and some upgrading at key positions. (CB and LB to say the least). I firmly believe the other players will get better wtih better coaching.

2. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

You are SO my new best friend:wave:

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with everything MsTitan posted except that we are set at CB and more than likely will still have the same DC. Thus we will see some changes at the S position next year.

4. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Hey, new best friend.:)

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Tank played fine all last year until he tore his ACL. It's not like it's a little Knee problem that people are making excuses about.... It's an ACL! Eveybody who follows football (unlike Ms Titan) knows that it takes a year to recover. DC's don't control revovery time. Wake Up!

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I can't wait to see how long it actually takes for a Titan defensive player to make plays consistently under Schwartz. How many potentially good players do we get rid of before we get rid of Schwartz, who is obviously not getting the most out of his players, any of his players??

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Other than getting hit with the salary cap and having to get rid of all those guys; what potentially good player have we got rid of? I don't think most people know anything about DC's other than the fact that we're winning or losing. The only people that talk about how bad Schwartz is are on this board and I highly doubt that anyone on here would be considered an expert. That includes myself. If you look around the league and listen to coaches and people that get paid to study football they all speak highly of Schwartz. Fact is, we're rebuilding. Teams that are rebuilding struggle and every team that goes through this process struggles. Coaching doesn't change that. Blame Schwartz for a crappy D, blame Chow for a crappy O, blame Fisher for the entire team. What ever..... We got rid of several key players last year and we didn't replace them. Blame who ever you want but you can't win without decsent players. We don't have a recieving core (we don't have one single solid reciever), we have two rook CB's and Beckham coming off the bench(come on!). We don't have a legitimate starting RB. Our safties are week too. We got rid of seven starters and replaced them with draft choices. No good. You've got to have players folks... we ain't got em'...

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm really not ready to give up on two veteran second round safeties just yet. Good post, Ms. Titan. Tank was starting to make some plays again at the end. There is a chance they could cut him, but I'd just as soon give him a contract with some incentives, an option, something very affordable but where he can make some money. LT is one year in to a 5-year deal. I'm sure we don't pull the plug on him yet. I think we bring in a FA safety, and see if that guy and Fuller out play them. If we get to draft a stellar safety, I'm all for that, too, but at the end of the day, Tank and LT have the most potential (we'll see about "Vinny" as Fish likes to call him), and I just want us too prove the Bengals wrong in regard to LT. If Vinnie or the FA outplay one of them, fine. Put them on notice, but I wouldn't get rid of them.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'd like to see more yelling and butt-kicking from the staff. I think if Schwartz and Fisher tell them to head-hunt, run to the ball, etc. I know we need more speed, but I know Lamont has it. Tank has and I believe will be again a playmaker on D. I'd like to hear from players how the coaching staff grinds them.

All players want to do what the coaches tell them, except the LaVar Arrington type. So what are our coaches telling our players? It had better be the right message. I know Fish can get p'o'd, but can Jimmy Boy Wonder? I wonder....

And by gum, I want to see more of the 46 this year.

10. Tank was a major dissapointment in 2004. I'd hardly call him fine before tearing his ACL.

Tank played well as a rookie (also with Schwartz as DC), because he was playing closer to the line of scrimmage. He's just not cut our to be a deep safety, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar