Are there any Safeties worse than ours?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CriticalTheory, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Haynesworth is a DT and Brown is a pass rushing DE, and I would argue Brown is better any day of the week. And Haynesworth certainly isnt as consistant as Tommie Harris who is one of the top DTs in the league in only his second year.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I agree, so your obviously agreeing with me thats its personell issues right? Your supporting my argument here, Sirmon was good before the injury, and maybe he will get back to that point, but he was slow as molassess this past year and wouldnt have seen the field on any quality defense around the league, yet he is our best option at that spot. That is personell issues my friend, not coaching.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

No I disagree with you completly. Sirmon was the Staff/DC's choice. There were other Titans available and plenty of guys not in the league. Sirmon, as a for instance, was allowed to play even though he was slow and discrete with his hitting.

Again the DC/staff condones this whimpy attitude by rewarding sissified play with yet more playing time. One of the reasons I changed my mind on Adam Jones is that he at least seemed to care. Now he still needs to start form tackling as it is obvious that a little dude like him has to tackle properly in the NFL or he don't do any tackling at all. Was he ever benched for poor tackling NO

he mouth got him some pine time, but not his sloppy tackling.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Yeah he looked real good against Jerry Porter for instance, top notch tackling. Pac Man is not going to be a tackler at any point, he is too small, he is going to have to rely on his cover skills and that takes a year or two for most any young corner.

So, you agree that Sirmon wasnt worth a damn, yet it isnt a personell decision right? I didnt realize that the DC brought players in, I always thought that was the GM and HC job, I guess you learn something new everyday. So, since I am wrong about the GMs job, can you explain to me why Floyd gets a big paycheck if its not his job to bring players in. Thanks, I am obviously confused.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Sirmon should have been benched, and other players brought in EVEN if that meant the MLB of the week. I really don't care. MY point is that the DC/staff was obviously content with underperforming LB's and DB's cause they kept sending the same guys out and did not bench for lack of performance.

The DC/staff's kept playing them even though they obviously cared more about feeding their family or whatever than they did about doing a good job on the field. Subs should have been given PT and promoted and I mean liberally.

and say whatever you want about personell, the Titans lacked attitude way more than they lacked personell. As you stated most of these guys have performed better in the past, and none of them are approaching 40 or anything, so their lack of attitude and effort should have had repercussions, but there were none as it was business as usual and everything is fine at Baptist Sports Park.

On the flip side, even though it was obvious that the LB's and DB underperformed, and even if personel changes were impossible, Schwartz has not proven that he can get the best from his players EVER. There is not one time in dehr Schwartzies DC tenure that the D outperformed the talent. And this D is loaded with high draft picks.

6. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

So you suggest we just keep trying the same formula over and over that has never worked and getting torched for 20 and 30 yrds at a time?

If you watched the the Colts get beat yeterday you would have saw Manning,when under pressure ,alot of his throws were way off target, thats what happens when you blitz and bring pressure then your young corners dont have to cover as long and the 20 and 30 yrd routes dont have time to develop.

Our D has been weak ever since Schwartz has been our DC. Even when he had Rolle, Schultzer and Dyson in the backfield. Is Jimmy a smart guy? Maybe. Can he coach players and get the best out of them? No way.

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

It's funny, last night on channel 5 news they had a pannel of local sports broadcasters and print journalist (6 all together) get together to discuss the problems with the Titans and not one person mentioned anything about Schwartz. The emphasis was on Fisher, as it should be. Everybody's complaining about Schwartz but it's Fisher who's responsible for this team. Especially the defense!! This isn't Schwartz's D, it's Fisher's. Why is that so hard to grasp for people. You want to complain about packages and blitz's when it all comes from Fish. It won't matter who they get as a DC they'll run the same type of conservative Defenses that they've always run. Just like they did when Williams was here. Fisher has becom lax with the whole team. You can talk about the attitude of the D being that of a girl, and you'd be right, but it is that way for the entire team not just the D. We don't have anyone stepping up on offense either. It's just as pitiful on both sides of the ball not just the D.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

No, I suggest getting good players on the defensive side of the ball. How in the world do you think we have the players on our defense to do what the steelers did yesterday?

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

conservative defense and greg williams dont belong in the same sentence together.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

A cover 2 doesn't mean you play soft zone or not blitz, it just means you have safety help over the halves. There are philosophical differences between a Tampa 2 and this bush-league bend-then-break soft zone that Schwartz implements. a cover 2 blitz is one of the easiest to bring because you still have your corners and safeties in the right spots, now you're just opening up the underneath, that isn't what we do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar