Are Chow and Vince a good fit for each other?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PrimeTyme, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme Guest

I don't know what to think here. I don't know why so many people say Chow is some kind of genius. I haven't seen anything on the pro level that would warrant calling him a "genius". I don't see very many plays at all that really fit Vince's style. There's a couple things here and there mixed in, but to me you can tell his plan is designed for more of a pocket passer and he would probably be more happy with one. I also see some of the throws and bad plays Vince makes and think maybe theres nothing Chow can do for him right now. The way he's playing can't make any coach look good. Overall, I think we need to mix up the plays. I see us doing the same things over and over. I think we only do different things just so we can get back to doing the same things that we always do. Please let me know other opinions.

2. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I see genius in the plays that are designed correctly for VY's style of play, but I see to few of those plays.

3. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

Chow won't look good because people design defensive schemes just for Vince. It's all part of Vince's learning curve, as long as he can learn from his mistakes and improve off of them we will having nothing but trust in our QB. Or, as for some we won't... DB's are always going to have their faces at Vince, and playing in a consistent Zone first mode. He's got a spy every play in which he has to identify then strike. I think we've all seen the negatives so far from Vince. Start looking a little closer and you'll see positives, but when you have to identify a spy, then read your routes then go throughly through your progressions its very very very tough. IMO, teams will start stacking the box with 8-9 guys, and it's going to change our style of offense as the season goes on. We've played well up untill this point, now someone caught on, well learn from it and look to see some more down field plays.

4. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

After watching NFL Primetime just now and seeing the highlights, something has become very clear to me about the offense: they're a tale of two sides. At times you'll have Vince mess up, but then Vince will do something good and his personnel let him down. The First INT was NOT his fault; It was a nice, tight throw right to the receiver and he bobbled it and coughed it up to the DB of the Jags. THOSE PLAYS have plagued us constantly this year and makes things tough for a second year Quarterback. I noticed Rolltide made a comment about Derek Anderson and Tony Romo and how well they're doing in their limited starts. Well, they're not 2nd year QB's and their personnel around them sure as hell don't play inconsistent the way ours does. That inconsistent play therefore sets up frustration (the cause) and then he forces something or tries to make a play in place of that and it goes badly (effect).

Here's an example of the Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde offense: Peyton Manning played one of his worst games last night because of this. The solution to this is very simple: the personnel around Vince need to step up and running their mouths to the papers like they are. Bo Scaife is inconsistent, each and every one of our receivers, the RB's and the OLine. Things would be better if they'd all raise their consistency by just a little bit. Also, whats with the constant run for no gains? Where's the screen? If we screened a lot more I think it would help Vince out a great deal, as well as the running game.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, I've been pretty critical of Chow and his play calling... and I think he's not clicking with Vince right now, but I actually think in the long run he's a great fit for Vince. I think he can really teach him how to play the QB position. My guess is right now, Chow doesn't trust Vince with the offense and it's showing. Vince is probably a little overwhelmed with reading NFL defenses - he'd be the most brilliant football mind ever to enter the NFL if he weren't. So the combo is causing a lot of growing pains, but I still think in the long run it will pay off.

6. zackmann

zackmann Guest

no, vince and chow do not seem to mesh well together....

if we are getting a college coach to be the offensive coordinator for Vince, it should probably be someone who has shown success with mobile QB's in the spread offense....

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Interesting quote by Young:

"I don't know what it is — if the guys don't trust me," Young said. " … I feel like we can do better. And I feel like I've got to continue to earning the guys' trust."

You shouldn't have your second year QB asking these questions and feel like the personnel and coaches around him have little to no faith in him.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The scheme is Fisher's.

The second the defense looked like it could dominate, Fisher threw the handcuffs on Chow.

9. PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme Guest

The run game is another reason I question Chow. We only run about two kinds of run plays. To the left and to the right. No pitches, not enough screens, no stretch plays or sweeps of any kind, no runs designed to be bounced outside, nothing. Just run smash into a wall at the line of scrimmage and try to drag someone a couple of yards. Then all the talk about wearing down the defense comes. With the way we run we stand a better chance of wearing down our back and our O-line than their defense. I mean not only can the defense put 8 or 9 in the box but they can just crash straight forward into our line because they have no fear of the pass or a run to the outside. The most frustrating part about this is I still don't think they'll change anything after this week.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I don't know why the offense didn't run the kind of plays they did in Jacksonville. The options, reverses, had Jax guessing in the opener.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar