Anyone lift weights at home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I work out late as well (I do 2 workouts a day though), but I just prefer to work out around 10-11pm for some reason. I always do my weights then.

I always hear these stories about people being embarrassed or joked on at the gym, but I've never experienced it or even heard it within ear shot. That's pretty ridiculous though, some people just need to grow up.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Sounds like it's the same the world over. The afternoon crowd is the same set of guys year in year out. No roids & everyone knows each other.

At night 70-80% of the gym are on gear. Big small,young & old you name it they're on it. The roid crowd have to stop what they're doing & stare during you're heavy sets. Most of them aren't even big or particularly strong because they hit the gear without having built any base muscle in the first place. They all seem to carry a carpet under each arm.

I'm a decent enough lifter not to be put to shame by the roid monsters but they still irritate me. No doubt many a noob has tried the gym at night & not gone back due to the edgy atmospere. I'm 39, I just want to workout nice & steady & be done ASAP. As you say I don't need any smart remarks or want to get into a pissing contest.

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Noo...the roids guys dont bother me so much as the idiots who sit in the gym on the same machine and BS for 30 minutes about sports(which they no NOTHING about)!!!!! I just want to tell them to get out! I got a shirt which says it all "Shut the H#LL up....and TRAIN" I listen to music when my partner is not there and people think I am rude because I do not talk. I just get in and get out.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

A lot of my clients tell me that before they trained with me, a workout would take them 2-3 hours at times. I would ask them why. Are you doing too many exercises? 9/10, it was because they were either 1) talking with other people and taking 3-5 minutes between sets or 2) waiting on the people in category 1. One shouldn't train more than 45min-75min with concentrated focus and minimal time between sets.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I do my training every morning before work, because we have a great fitness room at work it's easier to just go 1 hour before work. And there's only a couple of other people at the gym at that hour, most people go after work. Of course this isn't a public fitness center so there aren't any "roids" hanging around, but then again I just find them funny.. well probably more sad really.

But no question I wouldn't be as motivated to exercise if I had to do it at home, way too many distractions... I mean there are the occasional distractions at work, but I don't mind those :))

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That sounds great. Less is definitely more in the gym but a lot just don't get it.Hhow many people do you see doing the same workout week in & week out. They do too many sets per body part & they take forever to workout. They make no gains & going to the gym is a chore for them.

I do a 5 day spilt so a workout is usually 35-45 minutes followed by 30mins in the cardio room. I've been training for 22 years, maybe half of those were wasted on poor diet & over training by reading magazines full of articles written by roiders. I like to think I train smart now & I hope to be working out at some level no matter how old I live to.

I use a variation of Mike Mentzer's system where everything builds up to one all out set per body part 2-4 gradually increased warm up sets & then one 6-8 rep maximum weight set finished off with forced reps,negatives or a drop set.However I feel on the day.

I cycle it every 6-8 weeks with 10-12 rep sets & 100 rep sets which are a brutal lesson in training past the lactic acid burn.

I do a 2 heavy sets for calves & biceps because they're still weak points & legs is always the same weight with either 12 or 20 reps because they've gone as far as I want them to go.

Every day is a little different but I always leave the gym feeling great.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

A gym at work would be awesome.:yes:

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You get an honorary degree from Kam's School of Training for that last comment. :ha: I always train my clients to reject redundancy at the gym, and to teach that striving for ways to avoid bouts of plateaued results should be fun and challenging, not a chore.

It's good to hear people training for health and well-being rather than for cosmetics or bragging rights, and it's a shame that their aren't more lifters like yourself. I find that the insecurity a lot of people carry is perhaps the biggest issue to overcome (it breeds many mistakes), always trying to impress rather than go to work.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

dude how many jobs do you have?

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I just got my personal training gig for the summer (just got certified in June). Unfortunately, it shall be ending by late August for school. Education first, and there just aint enough time for PTing and construction and books...

But any young, college students like me who have an interest in biology and/or lifting weights, I recommend being certified in personal training. I get paid $30 an hour (and that's with zero experience on my part) with a very flexible schedule, and it's a job that rewards your time and energy fairly (unlike being stuck in a retail job, or like I just finished, construction work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar