Anyone lift weights at home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I hated the Y, couldn't stand how people would just sit at a machine or set of weights between sets and not let someone else get a set in. I bought a bowflex and couldn't be happier. Now a 30 minutes workout takes 30 minutes, not 2 hours.

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Hmmmm....I am a pretty avid weightlifter (I hit the weight room 5 days a week). There are plenty of things you can do at home that dont even require weights persay that you see in a gym.

If you are going to do workouts at home there are 4 things that are a MUST (or some variation of these 4).

Olympic Bar - 45lbs

SQUAT RACK - POWER RACK - You can do bench, Squats, curls, pullups, just about everything if you get on of these.

Adjustable BENCH - Presses, incline, decline

Olympic Weight Set - Look on Craigslist for good deals.

www.wannabebig.com has a lot of info in the forum section about setting up a home gym at an affordable price. Hope this helps a little.

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

[​IMG]

Here is the set up that I have in my Garage, that I use when I cant make it to the gym for whatever reason.

4. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

I have mine, All I need is a long barbell to squat/deadlift/Olimpic lifting

A regular barbell and a bench press for bench press/row/biceps curls/overhead press etc etc.

2 dumbell mini barbells

Many plates. At least you should aim for a total of 440 pounds (200 kilos) for athletic pourpouses, but you could buy it gradually or stay lighter for regular fitness.

I have aprox (mines are kilos) 4 x 50 plates - 2 x 35 plates - 4 x 20 - 4 x 10 - 4 x 5 - 4 x 2 - 2 x 1

Safelocks for all barbells (a must if you dont want to break yours or someones thumb as I did in HS)

Also a power rack or somethink alike will do wonders for squating.

I welded my power rack so there i saved 600 $, the rest of the equiment was about 600 $ more. Since I dont spend money on gas to go to the gym, plus the 600$ a year a gym costs, plus the time lost going there/going back and the advantages of flexible opening times... i have afforded mine long time ago

Also there are no better exercises for strength and building muscle that using free weights instead of machines.

The disadvantages are the risk of buying things to accumulate dust, the risk of getting stuck under the bench press (I use the power rack for max efforts) and the time you will take to make yourself a decent program...

high chances are, though, that in a gym your program will be a big waste of time by the 6th week, because most of the staff in gyms have little knowledge about strenght training, and they all always do the 4 day split routine with the 3 sets x 10 reps scheme... forever.

Cable machines, too expensive for what they offer in terms of exercises, but better than any isolation machine.

5. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Bow Flex

Works wonders

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I have a couple issues going to the gym now, so home should be better for me. I have no partner now, so I don't get much motivation at the gym.

Yeah I used to work out hard, core muscles and all that. 5 days a week. I don't think I'll do that again any time soon. If my job changes, I could see going back to the gym for a better workout....but for now I'm gonna try and do a little at home.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna look into to some of that stuff. Hopefully I can find some deals :greedy: :ha:

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I have the luxury of training at the gym in the afternoon when it's always quiet. I guess I would hate to train at night & have to wait to use the equipment. That could probably drive me into training at home.

I've just lost the best training partner I've ever had.Never let each other down in 7 years. Training on my own isn't so bad,motivation or the lack of it is all in the mind.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Join the y..

It's just so easy to go station to station and work the different muscle groups. They also have all those bikes and treadmills if you want to change up now and then or get your heart rate up first. The numerous leg machines help you work your biggest muscles for full metabolic effect you can't get at home..

At my ymca the weights only go up to 225 on the nautalus machines so you don't have to worry about zack piller type guy humiliating you. In fact the average age of people working out at my Y is like 55. A few people over 70! Over 70 lifting!

Of course the Y has so many other things like childcare, water aerobics, an outdoor pool for the kids etc.....

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That's exactly my story. Can only train at night now. Gets really late sometimes before I get off work now. Have to wait to work out at the new times I get to the gym. Don't know what it is about the gym, but some a-holes need to ease off the roids I guess (had to ignore smart *** remarks more than once). Lost my partner, got another, lost him, got another lost him....screw it, I'm going to try the home deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar